Anti-sea sickness injections - do they work?

Soldato
I hope this doesn't qualify as medical advice but I'm just curious about other people's experiences. My fiancée would like to go on a cruise but unfortunately boats don't agree with my constitution. :p With the anti-nausea injections am I going to be able to go on the boat like a normal person or will I be zombie like? I find the sea sickness pills make me very drowsy. :p

I would suggest other solutions before letting a doctor stick a needle in your arm. There are wristbands you can buy which use pressure points on your wrist to combat it, and, silly as it sounds, apparently they do work very well. Other than that, you could get stoned or take some opiates. Much of seasickness is a form of motion sickness, where the perceived level and therefore angle of surfaces does not reflect the constantly pitching surface of the ship. Marijuana or other mind altering substances suppresses the senses, and as a result removes the problem.

Once again, I am not a seasickness sufferer, nor am I advocating the use of mind altering substances =P

I go out Sea Fishing on small boats quite a lot and sometimes in very rough weather, never once been Sea-Sick, put me in a comfortable chair in my own house playing certain FPS Games and I'll throw up in less than 20mins from Sea-Sickness :D

Having the horizon to focus is can help stop it, I find I'm ok on small boats until I go in a cabin where you can't see it and have nothing to reference off, on large boats I'm fine though

I can hardly feel any difference on the likes of huge ferries etc

I'm terrible with any kind of travelling - planes, boats, coaches, even some cars (unless I'm driving!), even when I go to IMAX, the only thing I seem to be OK on is a train! I went on a cruise and used anti-travel sickness tablets called Stugeron from the chemists. I know you said they make you drowsy but didn't know if you'd tried those ones.

And I fully expect people to start saying it's all in your mind, (wo)man up, etc, but I didn't expect these tablets to work at all, so not as if I was psychologically pinning my hopes on them, and they did work.

^^ What JB says is true too - looking at the horizon helps. I heard that it's a confusion in your brain when it can feel you're moving but can't actually see anything around you moving (such as when reading in a car or like you said, being in an inside cabin), which causes travel sickness. Dunno if that's boohickey but sounds like it makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I go out Sea Fishing on small boats quite a lot and sometimes in very rough weather, never once been Sea-Sick, put me in a comfortable chair in my own house playing certain FPS Games and I'll throw up in less than 20mins from Sea-Sickness :D

I used to get motion-sickness from the original half-life. Which is weird because it's the only FPS ever that's had that effect on me.

Didn't stop me playing it though. :o

Most modern cruise liners have stabilizers below the waterline that all but eliminate pitch and roll 99% of the time. That, coupled with the fact that they're often 100,000 tonnes plus means that unless you're heading into particularly high sea-states, you probably won't notice a thing.

An injection worked for me. Went to sleep early on the evening I had it, but no sea sickness for the rest of the 'cruise' (actually a 6 day transatlantic crossing). I didn't get sea sickness at all on the return journey and that was rougher than the outbound.

Back
Top Bottom