Anti-static wristbands..

Permabanned
Are these a must when building a PC?

And if so, where can I get myself one?

Preferably not online, need to be able to just go out and purchase one..

You can wear one if it makes you feel better, but i'm sure most people dont bother really. You can always just touch the copper tubing on a radiator though?

I read somewhere that its unlikey for you to fry your components from static electricity nowadays anyway

benjo said:
You can wear one if it makes you feel better, but i'm sure most people dont bother really. You can always just touch the copper tubing on a radiator though?

I read somewhere that its unlikey for you to fry your components from static electricity nowadays anyway

True. The fan gauze on the PSU is earthed too. I usually touch that. My PSU also has an earth-wire that connects to the PC case, so all I have to do is touch that.

I bought one originally but they're an absolute pain. If you're trying to fit things in and around a reasonably crampted case, the last thing you want is your wrist strapped to something on a springly lead.

Seriously, don't worry about it. As Tommy B says, just touch the PSU casing (providing that it is plugged in so the ground pin works - but turned off at the socket!!!)

My mate ties a wire to his big toe and attaches the other end to a radiator :eek:

Seems to work for him. Plus its super cheap and keeps your hands free.

Although you may want to remember to undo it before wandering off. Mate said he nearly severed his big toe when he went to answer the door lol :D

The advice I normally give to people tho is to just periodically touch a radiators copper piping or touch your case with PSU plugged in as mentioned earlier or touch a tap.

SiriusB

Cats! Thats a good point. Must remember to lock my cat in another room when I build my new rig. She absolutely, positively has to attack ANYTHING thats unfortunate enough to move when shes looking at it lol.

Can just picture it now... the cat shredding all my cables :eek:

SiriusB

SiriusB said:
Although you may want to remember to undo it before wandering off. Mate said he nearly severed his big toe when he went to answer the door lol :D
LMAO :D

I personally never use an anti-static wristband and I just make sure that I earth myself with a radiator and this has worked for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom