antivirus and the like

Soldato
hi
i've had a scare with online banking and have since got jittery about people sending me stuff in email etc
like recently i got a text file sent to me, i dont think the mac would have anything built in to pick virus' up?
think i want to install an antivirus and wondering what is best, what do other people use on their Macs

Soldato
I'm fairly surprised at a lot of Mac users who think they don't need AV stuff. Even if the OS isn't particularly susceptible to them, you wouldn't want to be responsible for accidentally passing one on would you...?

I use BitDefender on all my stuff - MacOS and Windows. Works well enough, but isn't free. Decent summary of the available stuff over at Tom's Guide.

Soldato
OP
I'm fairly surprised at a lot of Mac users who think they don't need AV stuff. Even if the OS isn't particularly susceptible to them, you wouldn't want to be responsible for accidentally passing one on would you...?

I use BitDefender on all my stuff - MacOS and Windows. Works well enough, but isn't free. Decent summary of the available stuff over at Tom's Guide.

thanks
yeah 'back in the day' the mantra was you never get viruss with a mac, hackers want to attack windows only blah
i mean, just cant be true anymore can it?

online scammers are everywhere and want invade your hard disk regardless i'd think?

Permabanned
Yes macs can get intruded. All operating systems can and they are all targeted but it depends how aware you are about things and what you turn on in the system in terms of security.

Give the free ones ago as already mentioned but keep away from Symantec products as stated. Horrible pieces of software.

Soldato
OP
Yes macs can get intruded. All operating systems can and they are all targeted but it depends how aware you are about things and what you turn on in the system in terms of security.

Give the free ones ago as already mentioned but keep away from Symantec products as stated. Horrible pieces of software.
thanks (we need thanks/agree/useful/etc type buttons on here, come on ocuk :))

Permabanned
Macs are one of the securest systems as it runs on Linux in the background. The problem is that people will click links, which in turn opens pages that installs programs itself. Another thing is when people search for things like 'free music' 'free movies online' e.t.c e.t.c.

Soldato
Macs are one of the securest systems as it runs on Linux in the background. The problem is that people will click links, which in turn opens pages that installs programs itself. Another thing is when people search for things like 'free music' 'free movies online' e.t.c e.t.c.

It's a common thought that, but one that rarely stands up to scrutiny from what I've seen. All my stuff is Apple pretty much - I just prefer it - but I protect it appropriately. You're right about the best protection being user behaviour, however.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/mac-os-x-is-the-most-vulnerable-os-claims-security-firm/
https://www.macworld.com/article/1132733/hack.html

Permabanned
It's a common thought that, but one that rarely stands up to scrutiny from what I've seen. All my stuff is Apple pretty much - I just prefer it - but I protect it appropriately. You're right about the best protection being user behaviour, however.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/mac-os-x-is-the-most-vulnerable-os-claims-security-firm/
https://www.macworld.com/article/1132733/hack.html

Isn’t them two links about something different in terms of discussion?

In the first one if the exploits are in the kernal (core) would that not mean it may be down to Linux background?

And the second one is back doors in iOS?

Don’t really want to get into it here though as the op asked about antivirus for Mac.

Caporegime
AV is all poorly coded trash that will open up more holes in your system than it closes. Keep your software up-to-date, use a limited user account day-to-day, block ads, don't install pirate software. You'll be fine.

macOS isn't Linux, it's BSD.

Back
Top Bottom