AntiVirus options today

Soldato
I have been using Kaspersky for the last year or so and I'm ditching it, it's way too intrusive.

I love Nod32 but it's more expensive, I'm currently trialling Bitdefender and so far it's been way less intrusive than Kaspersky, seems to score well in tests so think I'll pay for it this year.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
All my W10 devices in the house (10+) are using Defender, nothing else. I use a hardware firewall and common sense and never had any infections.

I've been through all of the popular and big name AV packages over the years and these days Defender really is more than suitable for the vast majority of users. It works, it does exactly what it needs to do for web, network and local files.

Soldato
it does exactly what it needs to do for web, network and local files.
with, the earlier mentioned, caveat

Most good antivirus software will screen the URLs your web browsers connect to. Microsoft's built-in Windows Defender does this as well, but only for Internet Explorer and Edge. To get similar protection for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari, you'll need to use a third-party product. Alternatively, you could switch to Opera, a free browser that has an ad blocker built in

- if you want a one stop shop

Associate
I have been using Kaspersky for the last year or so and I'm ditching it, it's way too intrusive.

I love Nod32 but it's more expensive, I'm currently trialling Bitdefender and so far it's been way less intrusive than Kaspersky, seems to score well in tests so think I'll pay for it this year.

What problems have you had? I'm curious as I've always felt pretty secure with Kaspersky.

Barclays has stopped offering free Kaspersky anti-virus products to new customers following an official warning about Russian security software.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42209489

Associate
Barclays has stopped offering free Kaspersky anti-virus products to new customers following an official warning about Russian security software.
That was quite widely publicised at the time, but there's no solid evidence against Kaspersky other than they're Russian.

Soldato
but there's no solid evidence against Kaspersky other than they're Russian.
:D

I was about to say there revenue must have been hit badly but apparently not
Sales in North America fell 8 percent year-on-year due to “geopolitical challenges and unsubstantiated allegations,” Kaspersky Lab said in a statement.
European sales also declined slightly, down 2 percent from 2016, but this was offset by strong results in Latin America, as well as Russia and the CIS, Kaspersky said.

Associate
Yeah, sorry guys, I should have been more clear...

My main PC used NOD32 and I love it and I have no intention of changing it. NONE.

But....

I also own a fair few PCs and Im only looking at FREE options for the OTHER PCs and yes, I am finding both AVG and AVAST to be a little bit bulky, and intrusive.

So, I was kind of thinking more slimmed down and free. Having NOD32 on all my PCs, especially as they are mine and I only ever use one at a time ( Well, most of the time ) I find the idea of spending hundreds of pounds just on a PC that I may power on for 10 minutes at a time, purely cos Im an idiot, a bit unjustifiable!

Kaspersky can go to hell as far as I am converned. I always have, and always will avoid ANY software that tried to demand that I use it.

This is the very reason that I will NEVER knowingly or willingly ever use GOOGLE browser... Everywhere I turn, I have some program asking me if I also want to install google browser, or search bar, or whatever... The moment AVAST did that, I knew that Avast and I were about to part our ways.

NOD32 has NEVER done any such thing to me and so for that, I am now in my 11th year of being a very happy customer...

Since you are looking at multiple PC's at once then perhaps Sophos might be up your alley? If I recall they allow up to 10 machines on a personal licence (not sure if free or not, I think it might be) though I have never used it. I, like you, am very happy with Eset and won't be changing any time soon... if ever.

Stoner81.

Soldato
What problems have you had? I'm curious as I've always felt pretty secure with Kaspersky.

It's probably pretty secure, normally scores high in the reviews. What I didn't like was how it wants to control everything, moans if you disable anything and pops up with messages all the time. It's probably good for someone who doesn't know what they are doing, but I'm already very careful and I never get virus'.

Soldato
Winblows Defender. Don't waste money on snake oil.

Plenty of FREE alternatives with lower resources then Defender, that's one reason why a lot of users use third party AV, as to paying for AV, it is their money their choice end of the day, so nothing wrong in that, especially if you want more features, better firewall etc...

Back
Top Bottom