Any C programmers wander these lands?

Associate
Just wondering if there were any C programmers around these parts. Looking to get into embedded device development for a career change and was looking for advice/tips etc. If anyone would be kind enough to share their experiences/thoughts I'd be really greatful.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
The great majority of embedded jobs are still C or C++ but Rust surely does have a future in the space (I'd like to learn it myself at some point!).

It's also useful to get a bit familiar with assembly language (most commonly ARM) because you really do get an appreciation of what's actually going on.

Thanks I'll look into reading up on the Arm architecture.

C was the first programming language I learnt. I haven't used it in years, but I might be able to help.

Personally, though if I were getting into embedded development now, I would use Rust and not C or C++. It has the same (or better) performance, is a safer language (no dangling or NULL pointers, etc.) and is updated regularly. Furthermore, it has full ARM support so you can use it on a Raspberry Pi. The Linux kernel developers are discussing whether to allow it to be included in Linux kernel code so as you can imagine it is gaining quite a large following.

https://www.rust-lang.org/

Oh I thought Linus was totally against Rust, thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom