Any current or former chauffeurs?

Soldato
So I'm sat on route to Heathrow and having the usual 'this seems like a cushy job' thoughts about the guy driving me.

Now I'm sure there are many downsides, such as the 3am pickups like my one and the stressed client who's flight takes off in an hour and you are sat on a stationary M25 but on the whole you are going to be spending a fair amount of time left to your own devices. Most I speak to only do my run then drive the car back empty and that is them done for the day.

So 6 hours or so driving someone elses S or E class Merc and if you are lucky some unsociable git writing forum posts rather than talking ;) I'm sure there are many downsides but has anyone done this type of work here?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Errm, I drive myself. Because I'm not a snobby git
Hahaha! Oh dear, if you knew me you'd realise how off the mark that comment is!

My employer uses a local chauffeur company for airport runs. Cost wise it isn't massively more expensive than a taxi, we can pay monthly on account and most importantly no matter what time of the day or night you need taking or collecting they are always there and on time.

Soldato
OP
Drive for someone else your on not much more than minimum wage the guts driving S class mercs for Emirates earn less than the guys driving my Skodas as an hourly rate.

Work for yourself it can be great but means long hours lots of hassle think flight delays causing scheduling clashes and the initial outlay and ongoing costs to play in the exec market best vfm would be a xlwb Vclass cover both exec and airport work (my next purchase hopefully)
That most certainly seems the case. All but two of my driver's have been retired guys either looking for something to keep them occupied for a couple of days a week or to get a bit of extra cash. The other two were a guy who'd just left the forces and the owner of the company because he couldn't find anyone wanting to do that particular job.

I doubt there are many people driving for that particular company that rely on it as a career.

I was very impressed with the V-class the one time I got picked up in one.

Back
Top Bottom