Any downsides to a smart meter?

Our SMET 2 gas meter stopped providing readings to EDF in June of this year. When I checked it, button B, it showed Locked and would new be for over 1000000 hours, or something. That never changed.
After lots of back and forth they sent an engineer to replace it on the 18th July, but then denied him permission to do the job when he turned up.
Today, 28th August, the arranged visit by another engineer occurred, Morrison on behalf of EDF. He decommissioned the old one.
Commissioned the new and then swapped them over.
He reckoned it is working and should start to display the IHD info within an hour or two.
It isn't doing.

Not sure how long they should take before they should be working.?
Electric meter is sending info every 30 mins

When they work they are most useful. The downside for me is talking to EDF when they don't work....... It is so hard.

Last edited:
I had my gas meter changed twice. Second time due to the distance between meters and them not communicating.
They replaced it with a dual band meter which I believe uses zigbee and swapped out the comms module on the elec meter.
And I can't even get anything replaced unless its faultyI've been on a list for years for a smartmeter. At least I have a digital meter the other ones in the cupboard belonging to the other flats are analogue thats how old they are. Can anyone get an upgrage? Can they heck. Back when the electricity board was state owned it had a mandate to make sure everyone was connected equally and they had the authorirty to do it the energy companies have neither the interest nor apparently the authority, they're only interested in picking the low hanging fruit if its not straightforward access and a nice fat householder to bill they simply pass on it. Its the same reason I'm on pathetic 36mbps FTTC and the chance of anything better seems remote at this point. Theres even a VM cabinet on the street outside the building its literally ten feet in front of my window but can I or anyone else in these buildings get any connection to it? Can we heck they're only interested in teh householders down the street.

Last edited:
The day after the gas meter change...........not showing on the IHD nor the energy hub.

I am assuming as this is a replacement meter it should just work.?

I'll go for email at this point......

Last edited:
Email them and keep on at them. My electricity meter took months to be sorted out and I had to keep badgering Octopus. Don't know what happened in the end (maybe an OTA update) but it started working fine one day

I was ‘upgraded’ to a new SMETS 2 dual band Electric and Gas meter due to the old smart Gas meters battery running out last year and the 2G/3G shutdown.

The new one was installed over a month ago and my IHD barely picks up a signal from my Electric meter and nothing from the Gas meter. The IHD just sits there displaying ‘waiting for data’ or ‘data unavailable’.

The original smart Electric and Gas meter (while it still had enough battery charge) worked just fine with the old IHD.

The new one is a complete waste of time.

Scottish Power have since told me it’s a signalling problem, and nothing can be done to fix it, but assured me they are getting electricity readings daily. I checked the app, and it is still showing the reading for July and the last reading was at 00:00 this morning.

So, I am back to manually submitting monthly readings again.

I'm still waiting for my octopus meters to start working, 14 days and still nothing

My IHD from Octopus has never worked (going on months now). I wasn't sure if there was an issue with my meters as I was paying a fair bit more than I was getting billed, and when I went onto my account to request a refund it said it couldn't as there was an issue with my meter and to speak to support. Octopus support did perform a smart meter health check and confirmed a week later that they were getting all readings fine.

I actually did pick myself up a home mini and now I just shove the real time data through home assistant.

Back
Top Bottom