Any downsides to a smart meter?

Soldato
FWIW my experience with the Geo has been great. I received it, emailed them it wasn't working, they asked for a picture of the bottom, and within about an hour he replied saying "fixed" (and it was).

Soldato
Octopus also bunged me a new IHD. A Geo something or other. It sits there and tells me how much money I have spent.

It also ahs WiFi but inexplicably does nothing?
You can download the Geo Home app on your phone and link it to that, mine isn't fully working yet though so I'm not sure exactly what information you get.

One and the same. I have been without a working IHD for a month now and Octopus CS has been useless. They ask me for this that and everything which I supply them with including photo's of the GUID, error messages etc and then they go quiet so I have to start all over again and get nowhere.
They've been okay for me, after sending them a photo of the rear a couple of days ago it's showing connected to my meter now, though it isn't actually pulling any data about usage etc yet.

Unfortunately it seems to have disconnected my old IHD in the process.

Associate
Octopus also bunged me a new IHD. A Geo something or other. It sits there and tells me how much money I have spent.

It also ahs WiFi but inexplicably does nothing?
Don't pay attention to prices in your IHD, mine for some reason won't show electricity standing charge and now will only show gas standing charge once gas has been used, when midnight ticked over it used to show the cost for the day which was both standard charges until the time change happened.

It also doesn't get smart tariff changes and uses defaults for gas/electric, I basically use mine for the "Now" view and to get meter readings without leaving my chair :D

Soldato
Having had a smart meter for about a month now, just a quick question. Octopus have been getting readings almost the whole time but, after we switched to the Flux tariff, it's showing both electric and gas on the main screen (which I'm fairly sure it wasn't before). We are purely electric so the gas section shows nothing, but is there any way to get rid of that as it's completely redundant? I can't see anything obvious in the settings.

Soldato
Don't pay attention to prices in your IHD, mine for some reason won't show electricity standing charge and now will only show gas standing charge once gas has been used, when midnight ticked over it used to show the cost for the day which was both standard charges until the time change happened.

It also doesn't get smart tariff changes and uses defaults for gas/electric, I basically use mine for the "Now" view and to get meter readings without leaving my chair :D
Mine has always shown correct pricing across 4 different providers. It can take a few days to update when a tariff changes but that's all.

Associate
Mine has always shown correct pricing across 4 different providers. It can take a few days to update when a tariff changes but that's all.
Mine for electric doesn't show agile and for the tracker gas it defaults to the standard price.

For standard tariffs it may be ok but not for smart.

Not sure why it shows 0 for standing charge though.

Last edited:
Soldato
From yesterday lunchtime Octopus actually did something and our IHD is finally 50% working now. Unfortunately the gas side still doens't work. It's taken just over a month to get this far!!

Luckily the IHD isn't important though as your meter is still working regardless if it, heck I reckon most people have them stuck in a drawer somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom