Any experience with dead ipads?

Associate
Evening all

I came home this afternoon and my son was complaining that h is ipad was dead. Turn out it was out of battery so I put it on charge. After half an hour I tried to switch it on and nothing happens, did a bit of googling and tried doing a hard reset by holding down the home button and on button nothing. So stuck it back on charge went out for two hours came back and tried it again, nothing. I have tried different cables and chargers but nothing seems to work.

Now just tried installing itunes and plugging it into my computer but that hasn't helped. Any ideas? Is it worth taking to an authorised repair store, my nearest seems to be Guildford?

Appreciate any thoughts and help.

Darren

Soldato
Sounds like it’s buggered. Very similar thing happened to mine, took it to apple and they replaced it under warranty.

Remember and book it in.

If you can’t send it to them and take a video of you putting it in the packet as they can be a bit of a faff about it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sounds like it’s buggered. Very similar thing happened to mine, took it to apple and they replaced it under warranty.

Remember and book it in.

If you can’t send it to them and take a video of you putting it in the packet as they can be a bit of a faff about it.
It's more than 3 years old so out of warranty. I'll see if I can find a slot when I am free to take it to the local store in Guildford as I work in Guildford on a Wednesday. If it's buggered then I guess I will be forking out for another one :mad:

Soldato
IMG-2811.jpg

Associate
OP
Try and see if it'll go into Recovery mode (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212787) and if that doesn't work, try DFU mode (https://appletoolbox.com/ios-everything-dfu-recovery-mode/), which is a pain and may take a few tries. If either of those work then you'll be able to reinstall/restore via iTunes.

Otherwise, it'll most likely be a hardware issue.
Thanks for this, the second link was a method I was not aware of. Sadly neither worked and I have tried plugging it into my windows machine, mac mini and Arch Linux machine. None detect the device, everything suggests to me that it is dead. I have booked a repair slot for Wednesday see if there is anything they can do. No idea if this sort of issue is repairable, I gather ipads are not really built for ease of repair unless I am mistaken of course.

Commissario
It's definitely worth popping into a store if you can, even though it's out of warranty. I did this with an iPhone a few years ago that was out of warranty and showing the same symptoms. They fixed it in 30 seconds with some fancy key combination.

/edit - I don't recall the key combo but I think it was done with the power disconnected.

Soldato
Tried plugging it in to various machines, nothing. :mad:
Damn, then yea, sounds like you need to take it in. They will check the port with a current checker and they'll also connect it up to a tool called a HDI serial number reader and basically try to revive/restore it through Apples diagnostic system. Will warn you though, if it's completely dead, then you'll be looking at a whole unit replacement as they don't repair them physically unfortunately. If it's under 6 years old and pristine...then you might be able to look at consumer law. But they should let you know that if it's eligible.

Soldato
It's definitely worth popping into a store if you can, even though it's out of warranty. I did this with an iPhone a few years ago that was out of warranty and showing the same symptoms. They fixed it in 30 seconds with some fancy key combination.

/edit - I don't recall the key combo but I think it was done with the power disconnected.

No magic buttons heh :) There's only restore mode (home button and power )and DFU mode but DFU mode is pointless on iOS devices as they achieve the same thing (only loading firmware drivers which allow it to connect).

Soldato
No magic buttons heh :) There's only restore mode (home button and power )and DFU mode but DFU mode is pointless on iOS devices as they achieve the same thing (only loading firmware drivers which allow it to connect).
DFU bypasses iboot/bootloader which has it's uses although not quite as useful as it once was (ie - downgrading).

Soldato
DFU bypasses iboot/bootloader which has it's uses although not quite as useful as it once was (ie - downgrading).

While it's useful for downgrading or being naughty and doing things like jailbreaking, in terms of troubleshooting or diagnosing, especially a no power issue like the OP, DFU mode is pointless as both modes use the same method to fix the issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Likelihood is the lightning port has failed. That can be an issue with iPads after a while.

Can you get it to charge / show signs of life by putting pressure on the connector when plugged in? My lad’s one used to work if I applied upward pressure to the lightning cable connector, just where it plugs into the iPad…only worked for a while though!

The ports can be replaced. You’ll maybe find a local repair shop or an eBay repair place. It’s a fairly complex solder job though, requiring hot air, so not for the faint hearted!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Likelihood is the lightning port has failed. That can be an issue with iPads after a while.

Can you get it to charge / show signs of life by putting pressure on the connector when plugged in? My lad’s one used to work if I applied upward pressure to the lightning cable connector, just where it plugs into the iPad…only worked for a while though!

The ports can be replaced. You’ll maybe find a local repair shop or an eBay repair place. It’s a fairly complex solder job though, requiring hot air, so not for the faint hearted!
Just given this a go but no joy. Thanks though.

Associate
OP
Evening. For anyone interested I took my son's ipad into the shop today. Turns out that the lightening connector is not accepting power, estimated repair cost of £279. Declined the offer as I think instead we will buy him a 9th gen ipad as a replacement, yes it's not the tenth gen but as I understand it all his accessories should still work as the gen is the same size and design where as the 10th gen had a facelift, plus the 9th is obviously cheaper. John Lewis are selling them for £319 which seems the best price.

Frustrating but it's been well used for the past three and a half years.

Back
Top Bottom