Any Freeview Recorder recommendations?

Soldato
My old Sony (~2005) freeview recorder died last week and I'm struggling to decide what to replace it with. Unsure whether to buy a cheap one from Amazon or spend a bit more on a branded PVR like Manhattan or Humax?

I noticed Manhattan have a new T4-R out soon which could be an option

Any thoughts/recommendations on the best option for recording Freeview TV?

Last edited:
Do not seem many about atm, to be expected with the advent on built in Freeview Play.

That’s the problem . freeview recorders don’t really seem to be a thing any more!

I’m primarily after one for my grandparents as their TV doesn’t have any built in smart apps. They don’t have a smartphone or tablet. I’ve given them a google tv and a fire stick but they struggle to use the individual TV station apps to watch catch up.

That’s why I wanted to get them another freeview recorder but it’s proving a struggle to know what to buy .

Freeview Play sounds like it would be good for them as it brings all the freeview apps into a single EPG(electronic programme guide ) which I think they’d be more comfortable using rather than individuals channel “apps”.

Might need to try and find a freeview play box/stock of some kind though as their TV doesn’t have anything built in as it’s 15 years old.

Many of the Humax\Manhattan freeview recorders seem so expensive ~£300 that it would be cheaper to just buy a TV with it built in though!

Do any of the cheaper boxes/sticks support freeview play?

Last edited:
You could go with an Enigma 2 box ,expensive and the software will take a bit of getting used to compared with what you already have.
I use one for satellite reception excellent boxes once you learn about the software.

You could go with an Enigma 2 box ,expensive and the software will take a bit of getting used to compared with what you already have.
I use one for satellite reception excellent boxes once you learn about the software.

I don’t have a satellite dish (only a tv aerial) so not an option for me info but thanks for the suggestion :cool:

Last edited:

Heysilverblack - any chance you could DM me? I found this thread as I'm looking for a new freeview recorder as my Humax has given up the ghost. I'd like to have a chat with you about the VU boxes. Sorry but I don't seem to be able to DM you directly....

Back
Top Bottom