Any good recipes for Pike?

Associate
I used to fish it often in Sweden, but I have not seen any recipes here for it so far.

ok just checked on the cost here :( very high at £64 for an average catch, which you could easily catch yourself 1-4 a day.. In any case I am still interested if there are any recipes here that any enjoy..

ty

Last edited:
Associate
Often it’s creamy mousse type things if you want to make something nice, but it’s not often cooked here. It’s a very faffy fish to prepare as there is so much pin boning to do. I’ve normally just had it on a bbq tbh if I’ve been camping and fishing. It’s not my favourite eating fish that you get from a day course fishing, but it can be good fun fishing for.

Associate
OP
Just hang on a minute.

Don’t fish for a pike in the UK and eat it. UK is catch and release.

Eh?

Normally you just take a small club and smash it over the head a few times and try to avoid those teeth.

I see a lot of people complain about it having so many bones, but it's easy to remove the majority of them all at once, so there will only be the odd one to take out while eating.

Anyway, back at the family summer house by lake Bolmen - you could fish for pike, salmon and others.

Caporegime
Yo
Eh?

Normally you just take a small club and smash it over the head a few times and try to avoid those teeth.

I see a lot of people complain about it having so many bones, but it's easy to remove the majority of them all at once, so there will only be the odd one to take out while eating.

Anyway, back at the family summer house by lake Bolmen - you could fish for pike, salmon and others.
u cannot catch and kill pike in UK waters unless you have permission from the waters owners.

Caporegime
That’s for EA controlled waters, but you just under any circumstances take a fish from a privately owned water without getting permission from the owner. Purchasing a ticket to fish is not permission.

I’m sick of the Eastern European’s coming here to our carp waters and fishing for food. It’s just not on.

Associate
I'd suggest that @Old Man familiarise himself with the law, the links above detail all the rules that apply to EA controlled waters in addition to highlighting the need in for permission on privately owned fisheries or waters on privately owned land.

To be honest I have no issue with fish being taken for the table provided they're taken in line with the law.

@robfosters I understand where you're coming from, I used to do a lot of sea fishing and would regularly see large numbers of undersize fish being taken which is just wrong.
I've also heard of plenty of occurrences where people are illegally fishing and taking fish from private waters - it's just difficult and sometimes dangerous to enforce though :(

Anyway, threads going off-topic - only recipe I know is the classic wrap it in wet newspaper and bbq. I think pike probably a bit to bony and fiddly for my liking :p wouldn't say no to professionally prepared though.

Associate
OP
I'd suggest that @Old Man familiarise himself with the law, the links above detail all the rules that apply to EA controlled waters in addition to highlighting the need in for permission on privately owned fisheries or waters on privately owned land.

To be honest I have no issue with fish being taken for the table provided they're taken in line with the law.

@robfosters I understand where you're coming from, I used to do a lot of sea fishing and would regularly see large numbers of undersize fish being taken which is just wrong.
I've also heard of plenty of occurrences where people are illegally fishing and taking fish from private waters - it's just difficult and sometimes dangerous to enforce though :(

Anyway, threads going off-topic - only recipe I know is the classic wrap it in wet newspaper and bbq. I think pike probably a bit to bony and fiddly for my liking :p wouldn't say no to professionally prepared though.

As I have already mentioned, I had not intended to fish for it in the UK and was curious because the price was so high to purchase a whole pike and also I was interested in the "catch and release".

This topic has been blown all out of proportion..

This mess started because I used to go fishing in Sweden for fresh water salmon, pike and "abborre" (not sure what that is in English (tends to be much smaller and a lot more bones)) often, but it has been over 20 years since then and so I started looking online for information to see if I could buy a whole pike, etc... In any case it's too costly for me, so I'll see about it the next time I am in Sweden.

TY for the information

FTM

FTM

Soldato
butter sauce with Dill with pike

not sure why we dont eat some coarse species here, I know some carp is farmed in the uk for eating.

Perch is lovely!

Associate
@Old Man I've always fancied having a go for some pike with some lightweight spinning gear.
How'd you fish for them back in sweden? Live/deadbaits or lures?

Perch would like to try, pretty sure they're related to bass which is obviously lovely eating.

Would give carp a go but always heard it tastes muddy unless kept in clean running water for a while

FTM

FTM

Soldato
australians love a perch as its an invasive species so they are hppy to eat it...its a bonus it tastes great

I have had it in France and it really is tasty..firm flesh like a sea bass

perhaps we should eat Zander here

Associate
perhaps we should eat Zander here

Did you know the Zander is called the snoekbaars in the Netherlands? Has to be my fave Dutch fish name.
Big toothy perchy ***** hybrid monster from your worst nightmares :eek:
Looks like the closest thing to the tigerfish in UK waters, always popular for our Jeremy on his fishing adventures :p

Associate
OP
@Old Man I've always fancied having a go for some pike with some lightweight spinning gear.
How'd you fish for them back in sweden? Live/deadbaits or lures?

Perch would like to try, pretty sure they're related to bass which is obviously lovely eating.

Would give carp a go but always heard it tastes muddy unless kept in clean running water for a while

I normally always caught a pike when i went out and I did so from shore; I always went out on windy days (has to be really windy) and had orange lures, so in that weather it was salmon or pike and sometimes both. Forgot to add that the lures were roughly 4 inches long....

The pike i caught and kept were around 8 kilo's, so not huge or anything, but a nice size.

Another thing is that in Sweden, you are allowed to enter on to anothers property (not within sight of their home) and camp, etc or say go walking through the forests which are many and or go looking for a nice place to fish from, so long as you clean up after yourselves.

Maybe reading a bit of this will help: http://www.nordguide.se/pike-fishing/
note: this is way north of where I used to fish, but you get the idea from the site.

Hope this helps somewhat

Last edited:
Associate
OP

If you can plan a fishing trip (etc) over to Sweden and stay for a week or so, it'd be easy to setup anywhere along lake Bolmen (many others too, but I like Bolmen most) as there
are several types of fish found in Bolmen: Zander, Common Bream, Perch, Pike, Roach, Burbot, Eel, Ruffe, Whitefish, Vendace, Common Bleak and Silver Bream.

You can camp on the lakes edge, fish and cook up your catch.

Soldato
An old topic, but one I would like to add to is the fact that if we stopped taking all the fresh water fish out, giving it a bit of a tongue kiss and throwing it back, we may be able to save a few of the over fished Salt water species.
The rest of the world and Europe manage quite well to specimen fish and also fish for food in fresh, but when it comes to the UK (which back in the day would eat all fresh water species) it becomes a taboo subject.

Back
Top Bottom