any insurance gurus here

Associate
Someone reversed into me and wrote off my car, hes admitted full liability and I have a hire car, unfortunately the claim has been put on hold at the underwriters while they check out something on my car(it has a K and N air filter fitted,its a big old 4X4 not a boy racer).
The hire car company have phoned and said the car which his insurance is paying for is being took back before I get a settlement for my car.
I didnt have courtesy car on my insurance policy so am I now snookered.
Also because my car is write off when the settlement comes through my insurance company say they are taking the rest of my insurance payment for the duration of the policy off before i get anything WTF
If that isnt bad enough as I dont have a vehicle now apparently I cant drive another car on my policy, so no loan of my old mans car to look for a new motor.
My only option is to take out short term insurance on my old mans car.
No wonder people hate insurance companies.

Whats my next step with this.

Dave
:D:D:D:D

Associate
OP
they are paying and I was supposed to have it until I got the money then for a further 7 days to let the cheque clear and buy a new car, now because it is on hold at the underwriters they are taking it back leaving me with no money and no car.
I am not quibbling about the policy because i will need it as soon as I get another car, but I cant use it because I dont have a vehicle now and cant use the policy to drive the old mans car on the odd occasion that I may need to, so the insurance isn't much use to me.
just get the feeling I am getting shafted from all corners for something I had no control over.
Think I will contact the legal people I pay cover for and see what they say as I cant afford to be without transport.

Dave

Associate
OP
It took the other party 3 days to contact his insurance and admit liability and by this time my company had set the wheels in motion.
My insurance are dealing with it, they arent terminating my policy just from any settlement money they will take the remainder of my years policy fee so they get a full year ... fair enough coz if I cancel my monthly payment they lose out.

But they say even though I have a policy because i dont have a vehicle I cant use the policy to drive another car on the odd occasion which I have always done.....this is apparently one of the rules in the small print.

This is why I asked if there is any gurus to point in the right direction for my next step

Do I go down the legal route, hire another car and send them the bill

Dave

Last edited:
Associate
OP
why shouldnt I be letting my insurance company do what I pay them for, am I missing something here ?
I contacted them after the accident and he took 3 days to report it to his ?
Never dealt with a write off claim before... dont suppose many people have.
Just get the feeling I am going to get shafted one way or another.
On friday I will have no car, no money and no hire car, and an insurance policy I can't use.
Is this normally how insurance claims go ??

Dave

Associate
OP
I didn't really ask them to do anything they just put the wheels in motion and both them and myself got concerned when the third party didnt report it for 3 days.
They arranged my car to be took for an engineers report and another company phoned me to deliver a hire car and before I knew it I was in this situation.

My policy isnt cancelled its stripped of a vehicle until I buy a replacement but I cant drive another vehicle on it. dont ask coz I dont understand this bit...wtf

Its not really something you want to be having experience of and as I don't, I let the people I pay money to sort it for me.
Apparently its standard practise to deduct the rest of the years insurance money.
Getting my legal folks who I pay for to put pressure to keep courtesy car.
First lesson learnt have a courtesy car on your policy.
Second lesson have legal cover.
Third have your NCB protected.

Dave

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well as of tomorrow I have no original car, no courtesy car and no money coz of some numpty reversing into me.
Large lesson learnt for me, been driving 29 years and including this one, two no fault claims.
1st one, car removed to repairer, hire car to me, repaired car returned, hire car returned, no problems at all.
2nd one getting worse by the minute lol

I had to use my insurance company as the 3rd party didnt even tell his insurance for 3 days after, making my insurance act for me, because I did not know who his insurance company was as he only told me his brokers name.
As he had not reported it, my insurance would not give me any information about the third party and set its own wheels in motion to get me sorted out.

Got to laugh havent you
Dave

Associate
OP
Just back from work, quick update.
Still a no fault claim, no loss of excess.
Still a hire car in my garage.
Claim back from the underwriters, turns out a K and N is really just an airfilter, it doesnt turn a 2 ton 4X4 into a boy racers car....LOL
Had a cheeky offer, not far away, sent prices to them from Autotrader that I saved from day after accident, good tip, awaiting next offer.
Had medical for soft tissue injuries, awaiting offer from legal folks.
Had physio because the doctor recommended it, physio doesn't think so, Doctor must be on a referal kickback.

Oh and my PPI claim has been upheld so I am awaiting a large cheque from them.

HAPPY DAYS

Dave

Back
Top Bottom