• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Intel fans that have switched back to AMD?

Associate
Hi.

I have been exclusively using Intel CPUs for so long now (put it this way, the last AMD CPU I used was an Athlon XP), that I have inadvertently come to see them as the only choice.

I eventually stopped reading anything on AMD updates as they always seemed to be the lesser choice, compared to Intel - not a conscious decision but happened nevertheless.

There suddenly seems to have been a huge resurgence by AMD and I am trying to get up-to-speed with why/how this has all happened.

I was just looking for opinions on whether AMD and Intel truly are on an equal footing again or whether it is more of a "depends".

As I said, I am not an Intel fan by any means (their socket policy is particularly irritating), it just seems that AMDs progress sort of led me that way.

Associate
OP
Thanks very much for all that (great explanations) - I can't believe that most of this has passed me by.

Remarkable response from AMD then - a total monopoly is never a good thing from a consumer perspective.

The reason I am asking is that I am thinking of going much smaller (and hopefully less power consumption) for my next build and and (thanks to the advice on another thread) am seriously thinking about going with an AsRock Deskmini.

I naturally assumed that I should just go with a G5400 but AsRock are about to release another model that with AM4 - meaning that I could go with the 2200G that I have heard so much about.

Until recently, I would have instantly gone down the Intel root but based upon what you have said, the AMD version is now massively tempting.

Back
Top Bottom