Any iPod classic Users

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Hi,

Just curious if there were any iPOD users/modders in here?

After seeing a random YouTube video last week I got nostalgic and dug my old iPod classic 5.5 out of storage. Surprised to see it was in fantastic condition with almost no scratching on the back. Bought a 30 pin cable and fired it up today, to my surprise all still working, battery seems to be holding charge (Although I' haven't tested it for long). Just a shame the original cover for it has disintegrated too much to be used anymore.

This thing got a lot of heavy use during my student days so it's great to see what tracks were on it from so long ago.

Toying with wether too keep it stock, or replace the 80gb drive with one of the SD adapters.

It does have an issue with the headphone jack that I'll need to replace at some point.

Last edited:

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
Works fine on Sonoma.

Maybe it's all in my head, but it sounds much better than my iPhone13 playing the same songs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sold mine on eBay a couple of years ago, got a ridiculously high amount of money for it.

May I ask how much you managed to get for it, Feek? I am looking at purchasing one myself from eBay but I am a little worried about fake ones. I want to go on a nostalgic tripe, hehe.

Last edited:
Commissario
I don't recall the exact price but I think it was around £250. I sold it in the December and I remember the person who bought it told me they were getting it as a Christmas present for someone. I always looked after it and it was only used in a caddy in my car so it was effectively in mint condition with the box and everything.

Soldato
I don't recall the exact price but I think it was around £250. I sold it in the December and I remember the person who bought it told me they were getting it as a Christmas present for someone. I always looked after it and it was only used in a caddy in my car so it was effectively in mint condition with the box and everything.

Thank you. The brand new sealed ones seem to range between £300 and £450. Quite a lot of money to spend. I shall have a think about it.

Commissario
I've found the eBay emails. It was December 2018 (longer ago than expected) and it sold for £258 to a lady called Yvonne who was buying it as a Christmas present for her grandson. I'd had it for years, it was well used but definitely in mint condition because it was always kept in a foof.

I've even found a picture I posted on the forums of it with the foof. I bought it in March 2009 so to sell it for that much, nearly ten years later was pretty damn good.

Jcjzrcw.png

Si.

Si.

Soldato
OP
I've been trying to find a sock for mine but they're impossible to find.

I took it to the local phone repair place to fix the faulty headphone jack and he had never heard of am iPod.. wow that made me feel old.

Soldato
I've been trying to find a sock for mine but they're impossible to find.

I took it to the local phone repair place to fix the faulty headphone jack and he had never heard of am iPod.. wow that made me feel old.

Funnily enough, I was looking at the native union aipods socks. They’d be perfect for me so we don’t get muddled up but I just cannot find them online at all.

Soldato
Hi,

After seeing a random YouTube video last week I got nostalgic and dug my old iPod classic 5.5 out of storage. Surprised to see it was in fantastic condition with almost no scratching on the back. Bought a 30 pin cable and fired it up today, to my surprise all still working, battery seems to be holding charge (Although I' haven't tested it for long). Just a shame the original cover for it has disintegrated too much to be used anymore.

This thing got a lot of heavy use during my student days so it's great to see what tracks were on it from so long ago.

Toying with wether too keep it stock, or replace the 80gb drive with one of the SD adapters.

It does have an issue with the headphone jack that I'll need to replace at some point.
as it happens, a YT video popped up yesterday with modded classic.
BT and memory card as a drive.
with Rockbox software.
I'm not one, but some audiophiles still use them as sound produced is really good.

might replace battery in mind and get that SD mod..for BT headphones, i can use mobile phone LOL

Soldato
I still have a classic from 2008 or 2009. Powers up but I walked into the corner of a table with it on my pocket and the hard drive is shot on it. Have been tempted to try and repair but never had the time.

Thinking back - I definitely used to listen to a lot more music back then (I had external amps and all sorts for it) as that was all it did vs today where Spotify is just on in the background through Airpods but can’t say I really listen to stuff.

Which reminds me I’ve got a pair of shure se846 in a drawer somewhere that I should get out and use…

Soldato
Hi,

I still have an old iPod Photo from 2004, still boots up but the battery needs replacing.
Not sure how much it would cost now but it's in near perfect cosmetic condition.

Soldato
I just found mine and grabbed a charging/data cable so i can pull off the music i have on there. I also have a nano but i think the battery is dead on that one.. :(

I did see some modding videos on youtube but they are waaaaay beyond my capabilities really.

Soldato
I've got a gen 3 with mono blue screen, the jog wheel went and I bought a new one but didn't get around to replacing it. I've thought about doing the CF card mod and getting it a new battery too. Mine only charges on FireWire though I can add tracks via USB

End game is my Aiwa Walkman from 1989 but I need to learn to solder to bring that baby back to life!!

Last edited:
Soldato
while waiting for the micro sd card board to replace disk, i've opened the ipod
once connected and working, will consider changing back and front for new.
have only 1 128gig card avail, so might get few more so wont have to open it again for a long while...
battery was quite swollen...

3Mg0FkW.jpeg

RLIFjMf.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom