• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Long Term Intel Users Changed to AMD, your experiences?

Associate
I havent had an amd cpu since the athlon was beating intel years ago, I had no bother with it at all but did change from a Radeon 9800pro to Nvidia and never went back to amd again since (a long time ago).

Ive got 2 systems built on the site one 5900x and one 10900k, im deciding which to order though I feel like Ryzen is better im almost to scared to buy it lol

Has anyone else made the move? Now that Ryzen has been around a while have things went smoothly for you?

Maybe im overthinking this but I want a new for Cyberpunk etc, Cyberpunk doesnt use all the Ryzen cores, which has been fixed by the community, probably a one off scare story though.

Associate
OP
Had a bit of a bug so was sick a couple of days. Am feeling better now tho :D

I'm afraid I went for Intel in the end. I didn't order a full system but instead got cpu, mobo and ram to upgrade my current pc. I will get a graphics card when they are back in stock or up for pre order again.

The night I posted this on here I googled some more (though that's when I started feeling sick) i was looking at motherboards and it was all a bit funny, a lot of boards seemed to have problems, then I looked at the memory and watched a video, I think linus tech tips, about the best ram configuration, that was me feeling even more confused about it all. I thought I'd go to bed and sleep on it as I wasn't feeling well.

SO...(lol before I even say this).. it turns out that night I had a dream/nightmare that I got a new pc with a ryzen and it caused me nothing but trouble. In the dream I took the new 3080 out and put it in my old pc lol. I though that if I was dreaming about this that was probably the last warning sign lol.

I'm not a fanboy of any company or anything like that, I will genuinely try to buy what's best for my budget, but I'm also older now and have 3 kids and just want things to work :) That night it seemed to be one thing after another against amd, and for real gaming benefit.

The ryzen could have been perfectly fine for me and I would have never looked back but in gaming they are pretty equal. Gaming is mostly what I'm after.

Associate
OP
100% if you had a dream you totally did the right thing!

Don't think it really matters what you bought as long as you are happy, after all it has no affect on anyone else other than you so making a thread to ask what to buy is almost like following a dream...

Enjoy your new system, I assume you have a good cooler if you went Intel? ;)

Yeah lol. I was thinking out loud, kinda in a rut. Its just so hard to make these decisions sometimes if you dont really follow the hardware that much until you're looking to get some.

I got a bequiet dark rock 4, I already have an older version of that and ive always liked it, they are quiet and fit easily. I did look at the dark rock pro and the noctua nh d15, but they were much bigger and didnt risk potential problems fitting it in. I could have worked it all out but I wanted to get my order in without wasting any more time.

Associate
OP
Glad you got yourself sorted, it'll be a great machine I'm sure.

But there really was no need to worry!

Yeah I reckon it would have been ok after maybe a few little hurdles at the start. Theres not much between them for gaming so im happy enough. I dont think whatever new ones Intel make next will be any better that ryzen 59xx, meaning ill not be missing out on much either. Id def have liked to got the Ryzen and had it been out a couple of months and been a tad more mature on the market I prob would have went for it tbh.

Associate
OP
Been with Intel all my days, decided to take the plunge and go for amd this time. Certainly a learning curve if you're into overclocking. Totally different from Intel and brain needs to adjust to what target you're going for rather than just peak overall clock. Happy enough though, had no issues, feels snappy, temps no problem, just a other cpu with a different oc strategy. Intel can't match the core / price point so was a no brainer tbh.

Yeah I dont really overclock anything, I have done before, at one time I enjoyed that kida tinkering, but I found it didnt really give me much more performance and wasnt really worth the hassle. Im the kinda person that just wants things to work and last a few years :) I dont even like lights inside my pc, I like it quiet and dark, as if its not even there :D

Back
Top Bottom