• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Long Term Intel Users Changed to AMD, your experiences?

Associate
I havent had an amd cpu since the athlon was beating intel years ago, I had no bother with it at all but did change from a Radeon 9800pro to Nvidia and never went back to amd again since (a long time ago).

Ive got 2 systems built on the site one 5900x and one 10900k, im deciding which to order though I feel like Ryzen is better im almost to scared to buy it lol

Has anyone else made the move? Now that Ryzen has been around a while have things went smoothly for you?

Maybe im overthinking this but I want a new for Cyberpunk etc, Cyberpunk doesnt use all the Ryzen cores, which has been fixed by the community, probably a one off scare story though.

Soldato
Yeah I was with nothing but Intel from 2008 (E8600) to 2018 when I bought my 3900x.

I have had no real issues at all. The biggest was the CPU not boosting properly which got fixed in BIOS updates. Other than that it's been faultless. RAM works at XMP with no messing about.

Game support generally isn't an issue, thats down to devs and not the AMD platform itself, and usually gets fixed pretty quickly if any issues come up.

Intel need to do something pretty serious to ever get me back. I will likely upgrade to a 5xxx series CPU in a year or 2 when they're a bit cheaper and this platform should last me many years.

Associate
I bought ryzen last year, a 3800x, and it was so good I upgraded to a 5950x.

But in general... what's to fear? Just plug it in and go. No problems over an intel system. Works great with my nvidia graphics card.

Soldato
Moved to a Ryzen 5950x after 20+ years using Intel CPUs.
Can't say the move was straightforward, nothing wrong with the chip but just different way it works.

Had a few temperature issues which I think I've now sorted & an issue where the computer will reboot if left idling for a while & the monitor goes into standby mode

Overall though its a beast of a chip, & complete overkill for my needs, but I promised myself a new project build this year & thought why not.

Soldato
As above, I had been Intel since Socket 754 on AMD and earlier in the year changed to a 3700x.
Overall it was positive but I killed my 3700x last week by bending the pins when changing the cooler....so remember that!

I also had some issues with the way the PCI-e lane allocation works on my motherboard, not sure if its motherboard or chipset specific but I got around it in the end.
Also you have to adjust your thinking in acceptable temps and voltage and also overclocking manually is basically a waste of time in my experience. I saw no tangible benefit and actually in some cases much worse performance so I just use the auto modes like PBO.

As as said though its pretty much plug and play and actually overall less hassle than spending hours and hours looking of the sweet spot overclock / temps / volts on the intel chips if thats your thing.

Soldato
Of all my PC builds, I've actually only gone Intel once. But it just so happened that Sandbridge i7-2600k was such a good chip it lasted me 10 years up until Saturday just gone.

Before that all my builds were AMD.

I'm back to AMD now, see how long this one lasts.

As for graphics cards, I must admit I also used to go ATI (as they were) but changing to a Nvidia 1070 in late 2016 I'm not sure I'd go back to AMD anytime soon. I did used to like Sapphire cards though.

Associate
I will be able to answer this next week - final bits arriving for my new build over the next couple of days.

Going all AMD this time with the 5600X and RX6800. Last and current build was 4 years ago - i5 6600K and GTX 1070.

Hopefully not too many challenges with the new build!

Associate
Intel user since Barton 2500+ now moved to 5800X. Well it was not that easy, especially with memory OC or even simple tuning. But this may be the price of being early adopter, no matter Intel or AMD. Other than that no regrets so far. Everything is working 100% stable, performance is as advertised, looking forward to future BIOS updates & improvements.

Soldato
This thread will probably help answer your question(s) if you haven't already read it. I moved from a delid 8700K to a Threadripper 3960X. Not only no regrets, but wish I could have done it sooner. Fantastic platform, and I can literally run a ton of servers, half a dozen VMs (full DEs), crunch away at encoding and still browse, play games and do whatever I want. Amazing system tbf.

Soldato
Long time Intel. 4770k to 5950x. Have noticed a slight performance increase.
You're doing the wrong things with your CPU to only get a slight performance increase. :p

@fr0sty There really is no reason to stick with Intel just because you've always had them. The only caveat to be aware of going to Ryzen 5000 series is that there is generally always some teething problems because it's a brand new CPU, so you will find quite a few bios releases just after launch.

Due to the 'age' of the Intel stuff you will get all round stability now that might be a few months down the line with Ryzen 5000. Ryzen 3000 is pretty rock solid now but it also had initial issues that needed ironing out.

Associate
I havent had an amd cpu since the athlon was beating intel years ago, I had no bother with it at all but did change from a Radeon 9800pro to Nvidia and never went back to amd again since (a long time ago).

Ive got 2 systems built on the site one 5900x and one 10900k, im deciding which to order though I feel like Ryzen is better im almost to scared to buy it lol

Has anyone else made the move? Now that Ryzen has been around a while have things went smoothly for you?

Maybe im overthinking this but I want a new for Cyberpunk etc, Cyberpunk doesnt use all the Ryzen cores, which has been fixed by the community, probably a one off scare story though.

running 5600x and boost to 4900mhz light load and 4800 for games.
why would there be a difference with cpus?
Unless the game developer mess up which happens but cant blame amd or intel for that.
Todays cpu have dynamic boost that react with 1ms on amd Ryzen which works better than Intels so called boost tech.
AMD is the leader now

Associate
Will be able to give my answer tomorrow hopefully. Have been Intel since an E6600 in 2006 saw me ditch my Athlon 64 3000+ (ahh memories).

Even though I’m expecting rocket lake to take the blue team to parity per core, their efficiency is so much worse. Clearly AMD is winning right now and I have few fears about moving to them.

Associate
I've actually used mostly AMD CPUs over the last 22 years, but my last stint was 9 1/2 years with a i7 2600k before moving to a 5950X a few weeks ago.

I'd generally categorise the experience as good, but not great. The 5950X is extremely powerful, but it's not without it's issues, either. If you like tinkering with hardware then it can be an interesting experience. If you want a set and forget polished experience, then you're probably still better off with Intel IMHO.

Associate
I'd generally categorise the experience as good, but not great. The 5950X is extremely powerful, but it's not without it's issues, either. If you like tinkering with hardware then it can be an interesting experience. If you want a set and forget polished experience, then you're probably still better off with Intel IMHO.

Really? What have you had to do?
I've just set and forget my 5950x. Plug it in and go, basically. (OK so I had to go into the BIOS and activate XMP, and I did set the fan curves a bit quieter than the default, but that's about it)

I know there's a ton of tweaking you *can* do to squeeze an extra couple of percent performance out of it, but you don't need to AFAICT.

Associate
Really? What have you had to do?
I've just set and forget my 5950x. Plug it in and go, basically. (OK so I had to go into the BIOS and activate XMP, and I did set the fan curves a bit quieter than the default, but that's about it)

I know there's a ton of tweaking you *can* do to squeeze an extra couple of percent performance out of it, but you don't need to AFAICT.

A lot of Ryzens problems stem from Precision boost. Because they feel the need to boost the living daylights out of the CPUs (to beat Intel, or satisfy fanboys?) if you want a near silent system with fan control it's incredibly difficult without extensive tweaking in 3rd party software. Ryzens CPU temps fluctuate rapidly due to the high thermal density under peak boost, so temps can easily go from ~30 C to >60-65 C within 1-2 seconds, causing fans to ramp up and down constantly. It's not a terribly good experience.

The same is true with efficiency. People often quote Ryzens good efficiency... but that is only true at 100% full load. At moderate loads, Zen is often worse than Intel. For example in a game where I could run 4k 60 before and now, the 2600k would pull around ~50-55 W, but it's not uncommon for the 5950X to be sitting around 80-100 W while delivering the same frame rate (and also running hotter). That's approaching *half* the efficiency of a 10 year old Intel CPU. I knew it would be the case, but it's worth stating that AMDs better efficiency isn't just an exclusively true statement like it is often shown as.

Associate
OP
Had a bit of a bug so was sick a couple of days. Am feeling better now tho :D

I'm afraid I went for Intel in the end. I didn't order a full system but instead got cpu, mobo and ram to upgrade my current pc. I will get a graphics card when they are back in stock or up for pre order again.

The night I posted this on here I googled some more (though that's when I started feeling sick) i was looking at motherboards and it was all a bit funny, a lot of boards seemed to have problems, then I looked at the memory and watched a video, I think linus tech tips, about the best ram configuration, that was me feeling even more confused about it all. I thought I'd go to bed and sleep on it as I wasn't feeling well.

SO...(lol before I even say this).. it turns out that night I had a dream/nightmare that I got a new pc with a ryzen and it caused me nothing but trouble. In the dream I took the new 3080 out and put it in my old pc lol. I though that if I was dreaming about this that was probably the last warning sign lol.

I'm not a fanboy of any company or anything like that, I will genuinely try to buy what's best for my budget, but I'm also older now and have 3 kids and just want things to work :) That night it seemed to be one thing after another against amd, and for real gaming benefit.

The ryzen could have been perfectly fine for me and I would have never looked back but in gaming they are pretty equal. Gaming is mostly what I'm after.

Associate
A lot of Ryzens problems stem from Precision boost.

Which you don't even need to switch on. :shrug:

if you want a near silent system with fan control it's incredibly difficult without extensive tweaking in 3rd party software.

Not really. I just adjusted mine in the bios, very easy and exactly the same as I would do (and have done recently) on an intel board.

Ryzens CPU temps fluctuate rapidly due to the high thermal density under peak boost, so temps can easily go from ~30 C to >60-65 C within 1-2 seconds, causing fans to ramp up and down constantly. It's not a terribly good experience.

BIOS fan setting "ramp-up time" on the CPU fan to 0.3s from 0.1s. Problem solved for me. So we've here identified a single extra setting tweak that you need to do once. This is not endless tinkering.

As for efficiency, well your new processor has 4 times the cores, I'm not surprised it drinks a bit more power, especially if you've been playing with PBO and overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom