Any PCVR for £400?

Soldato
The Facebook account requirement was a massive misstep for Facebook/Meta, mainly because their support for Facebook account issues is so bad, and mostly run by bots due to the billions of accounts out there. Tying this to a product you pay for was a bad idea. At the very least Facebook should have setup a special support section to resolve Quest related facebook issues quickly. Also it should never have been possible to lose all your purchases for VR due to posts made on a social media platform unrelated to your VR usage.
Here's hoping the new meta accounts will solve these issues.

Think it would have been less of an issue had it not been the American election too, when Facebook were super strict on new accounts trying to avoid bots.

Still not a smart move.

Soldato
I am planning to get a VR set for one of my kids for Christmas, but not quite sure of the best one. I have a budget in mind of up to around £450 give or take. He will want it to play PC VR games and that's about it.

I was thinking of the Reverb G2 primarily because of the FB/Meta tie-in of Occulus (neither of my kids has any interest in social media despite being of an age you might expect them to, and I would like to keep it that way!). How bad/intrusive is the Meta nonesense on Occulus? And is the Reverb worth the extra money?

Soldato
I am planning to get a VR set for one of my kids for Christmas, but not quite sure of the best one. I have a budget in mind of up to around £450 give or take. He will want it to play PC VR games and that's about it.

I was thinking of the Reverb G2 primarily because of the FB/Meta tie-in of Occulus (neither of my kids has any interest in social media despite being of an age you might expect them to, and I would like to keep it that way!). How bad/intrusive is the Meta nonesense on Occulus? And is the Reverb worth the extra money?
Please read the previous page.

Soldato

You need to link the headset to a facebook account. But that's the end of it. You can then basically completely isolate it. Facebook for instance is still showing me ads to buy an Oculus Quest 2 headset.

Soldato
Please read the previous page.

I had read something about people getting locked out of accounts, but that's not my main concern since I would hope if we got one to just set up a dummy account and leave it untouched, but that depends on how pushy it is to get you to actually use FB to make full use of the system.

You need to link the headset to a facebook account. But that's the end of it. You can then basically completely isolate it. Facebook for instance is still showing me ads to buy an Oculus Quest 2 headset.

Right, that sounds... not too bad. I'd rather do without the whole Meta rubbish totally, but given the price difference between the two systems, if this is the only drawback of the Quest 2 it does give me something to weigh up.

Soldato
I had read something about people getting locked out of accounts, but that's not my main concern since I would hope if we got one to just set up a dummy account and leave it untouched, but that depends on how pushy it is to get you to actually use FB to make full use of the system.

Right, that sounds... not too bad. I'd rather do without the whole Meta rubbish totally, but given the price difference between the two systems, if this is the only drawback of the Quest 2 it does give me something to weigh up.

Don't setup a dummy account. Set one up with genuine details, and then lock it right down with regards to privacy. That way if needed you can always prove your identity should they decide to close it on suspicion of it being a dummy account.

Soldato
Very is currently doing £50 cash back when you buy a Quest 2.
I think most are. Certainly John Lewis and Argos. I believe Amazon too.

Don't forget to ask an existing quest 2 owner to refer you as well and you both get £23 of store credit ( feel free to PM If you want one with a link to your Facebook profile)

Soldato
OP
Very is currently doing £50 cash back when you buy a Quest 2.

What made the Very deal good is that is is a straight up cash back deal, not store credit or the like.

I actually paid with Paypal and they only took the £249.99, did not take the £299.99 and afterwards refund like the offer terms say.

Also, their £20 3 year cover for acc dam was decent I thought.

It looks like Very are drop shipping though but no idea who is fulfilling the order.

Back
Top Bottom