Any PHP wizards with a spare hour and a sense of humour?

Soldato
Hi all,

A joke site that I set up about 10 years ago is getting quite busy, about 2k uniques a day.

The site - http://goo.gl/OGfzq

I thought I'd add to the cheap functionality of the site by allowing users to send this card as an "e" card. My thought was to get the user to fill out a simple HTML form, and link it with this PHP PDF library thing, and voila.
( http://koivi.com/fill-pdf-form-fields/ edit: this new link provides a better method, but it's a little too complex for me!
)

The form would create a very basic blank A4 landscape page with the text on, and I could make a script to combine the two pages (front cover as seen on site, and this "custom" second page), and email it to the user.

But, I'm struggling. A lot.

Anyone able to help? I'll credit the help to you!

Last edited:
Why not just create an canvas and then convert that to an image rather than pdf?

just an idea...

I am surprised tesco hasn't come a knocking yet though, disclaimer or not...

A huge thanks to visibleman who pointed me several times in the right direction, managed to get it all to work.

and Tesco asked me to about six or seven years ago. I sent them a big email asking them to take my idea and make it a product. I told them I make nothing from the site, it costs me money, and I promote them. They've never contacted me again.

You might want to add to your css (style-Blue.css) the following so the labels line up nicely, looks a bit messy otherwise:

Code:
.jotform-form label {
    width: 162px;
}

Tesco value cards are awesome. I've always wondered why they don't sell them, everyone would buy them as a joke.

You might want to add to your css (style-Blue.css) the following so the labels line up nicely, looks a bit messy otherwise:

Code:
.jotform-form label {
    width: 162px;
}

Tesco value cards are awesome. I've always wondered why they don't sell them, everyone would buy them as a joke.

Incredibly good of you, thank you!

actually, thinking of Pho's great hint there - if anyone else has any suggestions on how to improve the site, please do let me know!

E-card preview on the form? Would be fairly straight forward to implement (load a 'thumbnail' sized image of the card into a div that has a few placeholder divs over top, use JS/JQuery to add text to placeholders).

E-card preview on the form? Would be fairly straight forward to implement (load a 'thumbnail' sized image of the card into a div that has a few placeholder divs over top, use JS/JQuery to add text to placeholders).

I considered exactly that, as people are sending out "test" cards to themselves before sending the ones out to the recipients.

But how to implement, I'm at a loss!

I considered exactly that, as people are sending out "test" cards to themselves before sending the ones out to the recipients.

But how to implement, I'm at a loss!

You basically want to re-create the PDF layout; so 2 divs one above the other (top for the small preview image version of the card, might want to watermark it, bottom just a plain white div) and overlay the bottom div with a few borderless text fields, then just use javascript or JQuery to replace the preview card image and text fields.

I didn't even know it was someone on OcUK who created the site :eek:

I have been using it for years. My SS at work got a Christmas card from it with their gift ;)

Back
Top Bottom