• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Reason to buy intel?

Associate
Hello,

My first post on this forum after lurking throughout the past few weeks and many heartbreaking product launches.

Wanted to ask, is there any reason to buy an intel CPU at this stage?

I was hoping to get a 5800x and a 6800xt and have failed on both accounts, no surprises there. But I'll admit I was fairly dissapointed by the 6800xt reviews that came out today, especially the performance gains offered by SAM seem to be non existant in some games, so it doesn't seem worth locking myself into the AMD eco system.

So anyway back to the 5800x, getting hold of one of those seems to be a far and distant dream, yet a few online retailers are currently selling the:

Intel Core i9 10900KF

for £440 a smiliar price to that of the 5800x performance wise, they seem to be pretty much on par, with the intel cpu sometimes coming out ontop in multicore performance.

Is buying an intel cpu at this time a terrible idea?

cheers.

Associate
The 5800x should be cheaper, but it's been marked up pretty much everywhere...

Reasons to buy that intel -
You already have the motherboard
You can't wait for the AMD to be in stock.
You run highly parallel workloads that will benefit from more cores (and don't want to stretch to a 5900x which has more cores again)

The 10900k has two more cores, and at that price honestly seems decent value. It'll be a great gaming chip. The 5800x is also going to be a great gaming chip, but is likely to be hard to get for the rest.of this year.

Last edited:
Associate
Hello,

My first post on this forum after lurking throughout the past few weeks and many heartbreaking product launches.

I was hoping to get a 5800x and a 6800xt and have failed on both accounts, no surprises there. But I'll admit I was fairly dissapointed by the 6800xt reviews that came out today, especially the performance gains offered by SAM seem to be non existant in some games, so it doesn't seem worth locking myself into the AMD eco system.

So anyway back to the 5800x, getting hold of one of those seems to be a far and distant dream, yet a few online retailers are currently selling the:

Intel Core i9 10900KF

for £440 a smiliar price to that of the 5800x performance wise, they seem to be pretty much on par, with the intel cpu sometimes coming out ontop in multicore performance.

Is buying an intel cpu at this time a terrible idea?

cheers.

I managed to snag a 5900x for under £500 and you get an extra couple of cores - however like everything good it's in short supply

Soldato
The 10900kf may have more cores but the 5800x has a much higher ipc which completely negates the extra cores of the intel. Other than in a few specific benchmarks or games the 5800x beats then 10900kf quite easily.

At this point I think then only reason to guy intel is if you already have a compatible motherboard, unable to wait for amd stock, you like paying more on your electric bill or you don't want to turn on your heating :D

Associate
I would only buy intel if you really cant wait - if they were both in stock at the RRP which one would you buy? Ryzen every time.

That being said everyone is slamming intel but they are only just getting beat by AMD and most probably wont notice the difference.

Associate
Im in middle of making same decision.The 5900x is good, but at £100 dearer than the 10900kf on the current deal with similar gaming performance (if the KF is the same as a K) then thats not selling itself to me at moment. And as you wont get one for sometime yet, its really not selling itself to anyone at moment.

I have the 5800X on order and this week I moved up about 21 places in the queue so at that rate Im going to be waiting till February.

So whilst its again comparable to the i9 10900K at the same price and it being unavailable Im seriously considering the i9 now.

The fact the 6800X didnt blow the 3080 away and lacking RTamd you cant buy either or a Ryzen anytime soon I think its maybe team blue/green for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Jeez after all that OcUK have just taken it off and despite it showing as 10+ available its showing as no longer available.

What on earth are they playing at

Soldato

At the high end they are still the acme of gaming performance right now but that will change as games start to use PCIE4 streaming. It's at the budget end that Intel can be the preferred choice. I'm speaking, of course, of the i3-10400f: 6 cores and 12 threads for a serious discount on AMD. It doesn't perform as well as the Ryzen 3600, of course, but it's £90 cheaper - 58% of the price.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £378.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Permabanned
Intel is still fine if you can get it for cheap

if it's price is anywhere near ryzen 5000 then get the ryzen

Intel, Take that old dog out the back and shoot him instead of feeding him and prolonging his suffering! I would wait and reward AMD lol Intel backporting to 14nm says it all really. People will optimize less for them if the popularity falls and who will buy 14nm backported and extremely hot Intel chips?

Soldato
At OCUK... the difference is about half that if you look around. The Ryzen processor that's roughly equivalent to the 10400F is really the 2600X, and that can be had around the same price.
The 10400F is far ahead of a 2600X it trades blows with the 3600 and beats it if you use a z490 it's also only 16% slower at 1080p in games than a 5600X at less than half the price.

Back
Top Bottom