Any tips on getting used to motion sickness?

Associate
As a newbie to vr I've recently been dabbling with various VR titles and find the motion effect in some games very overpowering, some titles i get zero sickness but other games after even a few minutes gaming I just need to quit due to feeling the motion sickness :(

Does anyone have any tips for getting used to to sickness feeling?

Associate
Take it slowly and don't expect to be sickness free for awhile.
But play more "experiences" like The Blu or Batman VR and then games that dont have major walking or movements.
Things like Job simulator,Beat Sabre etc

But dont get to down hearted as it will get better over time.

Soldato
The best advice is don't push through it. Stop immediately if you feel ill then play again when you feel better. Play comfortable experiences frequently for short periouds and build up your resistance bit by bit.

If you keep going when you feel ill you can get your brain to associate VR with being ill which could make you feel instantly sick the moment you put the headset on. It's very difficult to get over that if it happens.

Soldato
Try to avoid sideward motion and smooth turning. Enable snap turning at 45 degree minimum in FO4. Forward motion isn't so bad, while running though most games use a comfort barrier that narrows your field of vision. Make sure your standing while you get used to forward motion, sometimes you can leave your stomach behind if you sat in a chair.

My demons were banished with hrs on the race track in assetto corsa. Everybody is different though, you might get over it in time. There are still one or two games that get ever me after 30 months, mostly it depends on my state of mind, tiredness doesn't help.

Man of Honour
I think it is one of those things some people get worse than others and I'm not sure how much you get used to it if sensitive to it - back in the day I lent my 3D Vision kit around a bit and people had very mixed reactions to it.

Associate
at first i would only play seated play a few games what dont move fast

beat saber
audio shield
brookhaven experiment

those are some easy games to get into

Associate
I've recently got PCVR and have had PSVR for a while.

I inadvertently followed general advice of taking a break as soon as I was feeling queasy / sweats and have definitely got better stamina / resistance over time.

I mainly sim race but even then there are things to improve 'comfort', e.g. graphics settings to maintain 90fps, turn off in-cockpit head movement / lock to horizon (still messing around with these settings), etc.

I like to watch replays in VR too but I find roof cam still makes me feel instantly nauseous!

Associate
If you have a desk fan try blowing air at your face. Something about the moving air helps the body/ mind. Helped me anyway with skyrim which I found to be one of the worst.

Some people also recommend eating ginger never tried it myself though:D

Asa

Asa

Associate
Make use of comfort settings like FOV narrowing, don't straffe or smooth turn, have a fan blowing.

Some people like walking on the spot, and if you find that helps then you might want to look into natural locomotion on Steam.

Seasick wristbands and ginger are other things said to help, but I've tried both and wouldn't place much stock in them.

Man of Honour
Seasick wristbands and ginger are other things said to help, but I've tried both and wouldn't place much stock in them.

Another that works for some people and not others - my sister used to suffer terribly with car sickness - not even 5 minutes into a journey and hurling - never really realised at the time but it must have been terrible for her. Tried some of those bands and instantly she was able to do any length of journey without a single problem.

Associate
Ginger (or anything containing ginger) is effective for most people.

I had a really bad reaction to sea-sickness tablets a few years ago, had a 24-hour delayed extreme drowsiness effect which made me actually fall asleep at the wheel the next day. :eek: I don't dare touch the stuff now.

Back
Top Bottom