Any working from home Graphic Designers?

Its some random things, like any specific advice.

I have worked as a Designer for many years ( Pirmarily in Print, have worked within many 3D suits Maya, Cinema 4D etc, but sticking mostly with Graphic/Print work), having been made redundant and out of work for about a year now, I am getting some work that I can easily do at home, but now thinking, that maybe with some effort, why not try and make a better thing of it.

SO really im thinking how practical is this, I'm literally a one man band?
How difficult can it be to source work?
Do things like LinkedIn etc work in actually finding money in the pocket work?
Was their any unforseen obstacles that might have tripped you up?

I know these are really wide varying questions, but im just getting a feel for what would be the best approach.

its hard to find work , sometimes you can get lucky some times you can go for a while without anything decent freelancer is a good site go have a look.

The hardest thing for any business is finding work. If you're happy doing sales as well then you may find some success but everyone else is trying to sell and do the same thing as well so it's not a golden key.

One of the best avenues for getting work as a self-employee is local networking groups. I don't know what Belfast is like for that sort of thing but at least you're in a city so there must be something. Again, you've got to be very personable, presentable and a good speaker, but then all of that will develop in time the more you do it too.

OT: Spunkey I sent you an email via Trust, did you receive it?

SO really im thinking how practical is this, I'm literally a one man band?
How difficult can it be to source work?
Do things like LinkedIn etc work in actually finding money in the pocket work?
Was their any unforseen obstacles that might have tripped you up?
Sourcing work depends on your current network and your ability to market yourself. Yes, things like LinkedIn can help when used appropriately. As for finding "money in the pocket" work, that phrase makes it sound like you're trying to avoid the taxman, which is never a good idea.

I think the main barrier is the initial investment in software and setting yourself up as a sole trader. The Adobe suite and the industry 3D apps are not cheap. The business advice can be taken from many places, the bank being a good source.

Sorry for being slow,

Just so you know when I said "Money in the pocket" by no way did I mean avoiding paying what I have to, I meant it as finding real paying jobs, im not above myself, work is work, but you get a lot of emails from companies and people saying about adding to your portfolio, it seems to me, their has been a real decline in the value of good design work at the moment. With everyone and their family pet thinking that if they can make some funny photoshops in PS, they figure they are graphic designers.

Think im going to work a little on branding myself and was thinking of setting up a Blog type site to show and explain my work a little, obviously putting some time into the presentation. Then looking a little more or working more to networking myself better, I have some in roads with working freelance for some companies, perhaps time to expand on that.

Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom