Anyone a Games Volunteer?

Soldato
I was going to apply and although I would have liked to have been part of it, I would have probably ended up with a tray strapped around my neck selling twirls and chocolate buttons! The cushiest volunteer positions I could see were those standing at the top of the first tier in the stadium by the disabled spectators and those by the athletes' entrance. I thanked a quite a few that I passed while I was on the way to, from and inside the Park. They did an incredible job.

Soldato
Although not myself, a friend of mine was and she seemed to mostly be stationed around the Park. Looks like she had a hell of a time judging by her photos on Facebook. A number of pictures with celebrities and medal winners, lots of pics of Volunteers entertaining the crowds. Probably the best though are just seeing the Park at night when there is basically nobody there, as its not something you usually see.

Soldato
I was listening to a guy who phoned in to LBC the other day. He wasn't one of the thousands of incredibly helpful "gamesmakers", but he was in the opening ceremony. He came up from Southampton 16 times for rehearsals before the big day, and the only financial assistance any of them got was an Oyster card for the last bit of travel.

Now that is dedication. And everyone in his section (I think he said he was part of the Windrush bit) was out of the stadium by 10pm to avoid bottlenecks later.

On my visits to London during the games I made a point of thanking any of the volunteers I met. They really did help make these games; it's not just words. I was far more impressed by their contribution to the mood and smooth operation of the daily routine than I ever expected to be.

Soldato
My dad was a Gamesmaker, he got back today.

He travelled from Halifax to London for training sessions (some of which ended up being about 2 hours long) about 12 times before the games, all travel paid for out of his own money and having to take time off work to do it (he works for BT and thankfully they were really good, some of his days they let him take without taking holiday).

He said it was such hard work (particularly with the shift patterns which could have him working till 1:30, or starting at 6:00 - because all the accommodation was so expensive he ended up having to stay about 45 mins out of town, so it sometimes ended up being really long days for him).

Having said that - he LOVED it. My dad has always been a massive Olympics fan so it was a dream come true for him to be right in the midst of it. He said the atmosphere was amazing, just so happy, he's never seen London like it has been over the last 3 weeks or so. Even though it was hard work, he enjoyed every minute of it.

And even more special for him, because he was working at Earls' Court on the Volleyball - he has been a volleyball player, coach and chairman for over 30 years - and my brother was in the team! So dad has had an amazing time, they gave him the time off whenever my brother was playing so he could watch from the stands and wipe away a tear when he first stepped out on the court!

It's a shame the team didn't do very well, but hey, they have next to no funding and were ranked #92 in the world rankings, I think they did the best they could under the circumstances!

Some pics:

Dad and Kieran:

309391_10100294098870912_35793024_n.jpg

Kieran, dad and stepmum after Poland game:

616507_435741399804320_1443200397_o.jpg

Me and Kieran after Italy game:

314386_724081624692_528069428_n.jpg

8052_723974239892_1305405578_n.jpg

Kieran in the background of Mo Farah on the TV before the closing ceremony on Sunday night!

616281_725876268212_1096513361_o.jpg

And an article from our local paper:

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/local/proud-volunteer-dad-will-watch-his-son-compete-1-4721705

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom