Anyone disappointed with AM5 X870 boards?

Associate
X870 boards became available a few days ago and all I can think is "meh". X670E boards are clearly the better buy and cheaper. 7000 is far more appealing than 9000. The ever increasing prices and lessening performance uplifts with each generation are starting to feel eerily familiar. It's almost like we're on the verge of the post-Conroe era all over again. The past ~7 years have been a competitive landscape but I fear that we are returning to another innovation crawl; especially should Intel's upcoming CPUs also be datacentre-focused with a mediocre performance increase for consumers and gamers.

What's everyone's thoughts?

The more USB4 you add the more lanes are consumed, leaving less for M2/PCIE expansion, it's all a balance.

I also went for the TUF X670E and don't regret it at all.

I also took advantage of the X670E pricing and picked up a board a few weeks ago after the X870 rumours. Getting a formerly £500 board for £340 is a pretty good deal at this point. The past few days have confirmed my suspicions that it would be much better than any price equivalent X870 board on offer.

I have zero requirements for USB3.x (never mind USB4) and I suspect this is true for most.

For me, I can't see the play with X870. Entry prices to AM5 are already too high and this isn't going to improve it. AMD upping the pricing and model tiers (X870 as the more costly successor of B650E, for example) further muddies the waters.

Compound this with the 9000 series lacklustre increase forcing the parashoot of X3D earlier than planned. It's logical to conclude AMD have made some bad plays this generation.

Back
Top Bottom