Anyone else buying gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
we were given between 10-15 ounces for our wedding so might have to convince the wife to sell now. God bless chinese traditions!

Bad karma? Suppose to bring luck those things arent they? The gold character?

Reminds me when the family home got robbed (20 odd years ago), they nicked the hewge VCR, and left the massive gold chinese character on display in a glass cases.. :D

Gold been going up a while now? not just short term but over the years.. Only really know because we give gold watches to employees who've been with us 20 years. Try to buy the same watches, the lastest set of watches are lot more expensive than the previous years.

Soldato
Gold is very high at the moment due to lack of confidence in other instruments.

I wouldn't think it is a good time to buy unless you plan on holding onto it for a long time.

Caporegime
the last crash did not have this effect as large banks and investeres flooded the market with gold to safeguard there cash flow issues, but seeing as that has now happened another stockmarket crash would not have the same effect, that would be why we are seeing a flood of “sell your gold adds” ...

Be interested to know others views on this?

You're a bit confused ref the business model of these companies buying up gold - it's got naff all to do with investing/speculating on the future price if gold.

Simply put these companies are a borderline scam - they will undervalue your scrap gold massively and send you a cheque for a very small amount - if you don't complain about the amount within a very short space if time then that's it - your scrap gold has already been 'melted' and that £200 neckace gets you £20. The fact lots of people are struggling with loans/getting laid off and are in need of cash these days has more to do with the success of these firms than and speculation over the future price of gold.

Associate
I hate those adverts.

Haha i agree, those ads are so annoying but I have to say, i sent off my gold (which is very much out of character for me to do) and received a substantial amount. an amount that i didnt expect. in fact, i received more than my local pawn shop offered me. I know that most of these "mail in you gold" companies can offer very little but the same with everything else its just a matter of researching and finding the good ones.

I went with Postal Gold. I tried a couple of others before that but i rejected their offers as they offered me really stupid amounts.

Soldato
OP
Haha i agree, those ads are so annoying but I have to say, i sent off my gold (which is very much out of character for me to do) and received a substantial amount. an amount that i didnt expect. in fact, i received more than my local pawn shop offered me. I know that most of these "mail in you gold" companies can offer very little but the same with everything else its just a matter of researching and finding the good ones.

I went with Postal Gold. I tried a couple of others before that but i rejected their offers as they offered me really stupid amounts.

don't happen to work for them do you ;)

Soldato
If you're asking on an overclocking forum about where to put your money, I feel you should do a little more research.

Is this an overclocking forum then? I was under the impression it was a general forum, with seperate boards for different things such as Overclocking, Motors, Photography, Sports ......

Soldato

hmmm, suspiciously like an advert.

Don
Got some Silver bullion

silver.jpg

actually it's worth next to sod all, I use it as a card protector in live poker games, great for throwing at folks who river their gutshot on me :p

Don

I know someone wno used them, real scam merchants, offered stupidly low amount, when challenged "oops we made a mistake" and increased it but still very poor, refused to give price per gram out

Soldato
I’m sure you have all seen the big push on the TV and adverts around the place offering to buy gold

Those advers will work, when gold prices will fall, because they offer a very miniscule price for your gold, and do everything to delay/make it harder for you to demand refund or your gold back. They will still make profit if the gold prices are rising or not.

Soldato
OP
I know someone wno used them, real scam merchants, offered stupidly low amount, when challenged "oops we made a mistake" and increased it but still very poor, refused to give price per gram out

he proberly works for them, 1 post and new member who finds and dig up this old thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom