1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else not find things funny?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amplus, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ~>Dg<~

Caporegime

humour is very different kinda share the ops thoughts. many peoples favs i dont find funny at all. especially people like gervais and the usual channel 4 **** . how people can sit there crying with laughter is beyond me. micheal macyntrye how just how ....come on ! :p

2. Phate

Caporegime

Bob Loblaw

3. FurryLemon

Wise Guy

Never "schnell!" ? were you a quicker finisher? it's ok, it happens to the best of us once or twice. :)

4. viathinair

Wise Guy

I couldn't make it halfway. So cringey IMO :o

There are maybe 2-3 American standups that I'd rank in my top 10, and some shows/films here and there that I like, but most of it is garbage IMO. Don't get me wrong though: the same goes for most countries' comedy I've come across. /snob.

5. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

I HAD TO. IT'S VODKA. IT GOES BAD ONCE IT'S OPENED.

6. Phate

Caporegime

VODKA ON THE ROCKS

Mum, its breakfast?

AND A PIECE OF TOAST

7. Roar87

Mobster

The older series of TBBT was pretty good, but it went down hill fast when they brought in all the women, now you need to be an idiot to enjoy it. Guardians of the Galaxy was so bad me and my gf turned it off about an hour in, I didn't even realise it was meant to be funny.

8. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

I'LL HAVE THE IKE AND TINA TUNA.

9. VincentHanna

Capodecina

SNL

I've no idea why Americans find it funny.

10. viathinair

Wise Guy

Current SNL pales in comparison to its prime, and the ratings aren't nearly as strong as they used to be. Its prime was probably in the 80s, with the best person on there IMO was Eddie Murphy (back when he was funny). Still, as a Brit, I'd say it was just pretty good then - I'd rather watch one of Eddie's 80s standup specials or films.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. TNGL

Wise Guy

I'd say The Inbetweeners is the only modern-day comedy that is funny.

The best all-time comedy has to be Only Fools and Horses though, shortly followed by On The Buses.

More to the point, everybody is different and if these popular comedies weren't funny, they wouldn't be popular in the first place.

12. wez130

Capodecina

Really surprised IT Crowd hasn't been mentioned yet, that's one of the funniest sitcoms of the past few years (closer to 15 now though :0)

Also, 8 out of 10 cats does countdown is always LOL funny, most thingfs with Jimmy Carr are though, he's my favourite comedian. Really like John Richardsons dry humour too, and Sean Lock. Inbetweeners was worth the watch first time but gets a bit boring.

13. ivrytwr3

Mobster

Actual lol shows:

8 out of 10 Cats
    WILTY
    Blackadder
    Phoenix Nights
    Max and Paddy
    Father Ted
    The Inbetweeners
    Flowery Tw@ts
    Bottom
    Red Dwarf

Actual lol comedians:

Jimmy Carr
    Frankie Boyle
    Sean Lock
    Peter Kay

I used to find Lee Evans stand up hilarious, i think he is flogging a dead horse now.

Shows i don't get:

Vic and Bob/Shooting Stars
    League of Gentlemen

14. h4rm0ny

Mobster

I like some of the more subtle character interactions. The way he says "part of the uniform" still makes me laugh:

For films, one of the funniest I've ever seen is The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon me but your Teeth are in my Neck. It sounds like a cheap farce but it's very calmly paced and layers up the absurdity little by little. And it's filled with characters who are just strange enough to be hilarious without pushing them into not feeling real to you.

15. ChroniC

Sgarrista

Your problem is intelligence, sometimes ignorance is bliss.
    If your like me then only jokes that make you think make you laugh. Easy jokes are just boring, so that rules out almost every American sitcom.
    Take for example the office vs office us. It like chalk and cheese.

16. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

The film Ted was on tv last night. The first time I saw the Flash Gordon bit of that film I was in stitches. Still a great sketch but obviously the surprise element has gone the second time round.

I find Clarkson funny too. I like stuff thats mildly offensive. Never met a girl who likes him though, nor celeb juice. I wonder why this is?

17. Chojin

Wise Guy

I never really found Lee Evans funny, he seems like the kind of guy you would see on a cruise ship or Butlins holiday.

As a kid I would find humour in a lot things especially slapstick. I remember asking my Dad to replay scenes of Blackadder over and over again.

These days most things I find funny are either non-PC or have a dry delivery like Stewart Lee.

18. Nitefly

Man of Honour

People have different senses of humour. A lot of people seem to think that things are inherently funnier if someone could foreseeably find the joke offensive. To my mind, every single joke like that has the same punchline - "my statement is intentionally and deliberately reckless / mocking of others". Errr... yey? That's not to say it's exclusively not funny, it's more that being offensive does not, to my mind, make something funnier.

My favourite style of humour is silly / bemusing humour. There is just a pure and wonderful childish joy to it that transcends age and background. I think the modern '21 Jump Street' film is a brilliant example of that sort of humour done really well. Even thinking about the scene where they are discussing "you have the right to be an attorney" makes me grin :D

Examples of the things I find very funny (without thinking about it too much):

Deadpool - where he drops the slice of pizza.

LOTR Return of the King - ".... that STILL counts as one!!!" (that is just a brilliant example of build up and punchline)

Guardians of the Galaxy - "Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it"

Angry Video Game Nerd - "Pizza??! PIZZA ****!!!!!"

Home Alone 2 - where he's throwing the bricks. So stupid but lol

Only Fools and Horses - Batman and Robin

The Inbetweener's Movie - The dancing over to the girls.

So yeah, plenty of silly things I find amusing.

I always find stand up a bit crap. Jasper Carrot was always my favourite. Just silly stories :)

19. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Also, anything with natural laughter in it.

:o :D :D

20. chroniclard

Capodecina

Thread goes to show how different our tastes are, some of the stuff posted is absolute dross. :D