Anyone else NOT voting today?

Soldato
I guess it's like watching a football match, when you don't follow either team ?

No because that doesnt decide what taxes you will pay.

It doesn't matter if you don't like anyone, the parties will still affect your life.

Associate
One mans? Are you sure? Ask the millions of people in our society who do care enough to get involved.

How about the millions that choose not to get involved? Honestly I'm sick of people like you, with your feeling of moral superiority if you get "involved" to vote.

Do you honestly believe anyones life will be fundamentaly changed by whichever party comes to power? I wonder which party will not be involved with "duck houses" or "second properties".

It's a dog eat dog world, survival of the fittest and politicians are playing the game too. If you think for one minute a politician has your best interest at heart you're deluded.

I tell you what, I'll vote based on some idiot on TV that went to hand gesture school and can recite multiple antecdotes.

Disilussioned, you bet I am.

Soldato
I don't know what to say or do, I've said I'm ending it (based on other things building up as well as this). Turns out I'm a racist, been with her a year and 3 months...
Threaten to vote BNP unless she gets her arse back in the kitchen!!! :D

Just out of interest, who's she voting for?

Soldato
According to my girlfriend I'm a racist and a bigot for thinking of voting conservative, and she's launched an attack on me based on one morning of research.

She's taking this personally as she's Iranian, and I'm completely shocked. Up until now things have started going pear shaped, and this has just tipped it for me.

I don't know what to say or do, I've said I'm ending it (based on other things building up as well as this). Turns out I'm a racist, been with her a year and 3 months...

I don't even know if I'm going to vote now. Oh and she wants to vote labour.
Lol, sounds like you're better off without her. :p :confused:

Soldato
According to my girlfriend I'm a racist and a bigot for thinking of voting conservative, and she's launched an attack on me based on one morning of research.

She's taking this personally as she's Iranian, and I'm completely shocked. Up until now things have started going pear shaped, and this has just tipped it for me.

Buy her a flower or something. Women tend to get ideas into their heads now and again and end up running with it for a bit. It usually blows over.

Caporegime

Give her one for the road from me
icon14.gif

Soldato
As a motorist the lib dems want me dead.

I think you need to look at the libdem's manifesto. What they want to do is introduce pay per mile, but at the same time remove tax discs and lower fuel duty so the average cost is the same.

So unless you do insane miles you wouldnt notice any difference it could even be cheaper.

If all you have heard is the pay per mile part then its just anti libdem scaremongering.

Associate
I've never understood why people don't vote yet are the first to complain when the government does something wrong. Very few people are likely to agree 100% with a parties manifesto but there's going to be something which suits your views the best, whether it be one of the big three or a fringe party or independent all it takes is some effort. Surely as part of living in this country it isn't too much to ask once every 4/5 years. I think its dangerous if too many people with moderate views don't vote then the people with extreme views (BNP etc) are going to be a higher percentage of overall votes. (edit: i do feel there should a a box for 'non of the above')

Soldato

Ask her to enlighten you as to whether she can describe the policies she disagrees with, should be amusing.

I voted at 8am this morning, who the hell can't find an hour to read the policy summary's on the BBC website and then go vote? I'm positive they'll spend plenty of time winging about Government decisions later when they couldn't even decide to put pencil to paper.

If you're on this forum, reading this post, you've got time to vote.

Caporegime
I've never voted, and not going to this time, due to pure apathy. My vote makes no difference. I'd go and spoil my ballot, but it seems like an empty gesture, no-one cares =/

I'm interested to see who wins, but I don't have a preference.
I guess it's like watching a football match, when you don't follow either team ?
Not many football teams end up running a government ;).

The right not to vote is as strong as the right to vote.
Perhaps its time this was addressed.

How about the millions that choose not to get involved? Honestly I'm sick of people like you, with your feeling of moral superiority if you get "involved" to vote.

Do you honestly believe anyones life will be fundamentaly changed by whichever party comes to power? I wonder which party will not be involved with "duck houses" or "second properties".

It's a dog eat dog world, survival of the fittest and politicians are playing the game too. If you think for one minute a politician has your best interest at heart you're deluded.

I tell you what, I'll vote based on some idiot on TV that went to hand gesture school and can recite multiple antecdotes.

Disilussioned, you bet I am.
Why not vote based on your own research and intelligence? Whilst the TV debates haven't been great on many levels, they've done one incredibly useful thing and get more people involved.

Disillusioned? I'd like to say I feel sorry for you but I don't. It's pathetic that you care enough to whine about it on an internet forum, yet you can't spend five minutes to at least try and effect change. That is the exact problem isn't it. We can't effect change because people think it won't matter. If PR (or similar) and compulsory voting was in effect at least we'd have a better representation of people's interests.

Soldato
Whether you choose to or not, by not turning out you do align yourself with a group, a group more often than not populated by people who are just lazy. There is nothing to distinguish your reasoning from that of a man who just stayed in bed all day eating leftovers.

I will say it one more time, perhaps it will then penetrate you. I . DO . NOT . CARE . WHO . I . GET . GROUPED . WITH . I do not care what comparisons you draw as your and the media's opinions (which I respect as such) means less than nothing to me. Nor do I care about some statistic on some channel or some newspaper. Making arbitrary comparisons to slobs lying in bed eating .. is that suppose to mean anything to me?

And it's not just to do with the media, a massive proportion of people who are clearly and vocally upset with the system will have far more of an impact on the political system than people who effectively say nothing at all.

What exactly, and I ask this sincerely, would a spoilt ballot do? The votes will be counted, whichever party introduced as your government and the spoilt ballots will get a quick mention and perhaps an interview or two by some mouthpiece about 'hoping we can convince people next time with our policies'. By Monday it will not be mentioned again.

You say you don't 'take this nonsense seriously' yet you've felt the need to post your viewpoint and try and defend it several times now which indicates you clearly do care about these things.

No I do not. I do care about people going against freedom of choice of others. Did I ask you who you voted for or try and influence you in some way? My view point was a passing remark. I even started typing a post to someone who was undecided urging him to vote. I never posted it as I got busy on the phone and closed the webpage. Vote or don't vote, neither will make a difference. You seem hellbent on criticising people on the choices they made freely.

I can fully appreciate people have a different view of the world to me, after all that is the entire of having an election at all, what I cannot understand is the mentality that leads someone who has issues with the system to just 'not bothering' rather than explicitly registering your displeasure.

I'm choosing to register my displeasure but not get involved. You are trying to get people to register it by spoiling a ballot. Perhaps let them decide for themselves? I can take a dump on the ballot and it will be mentioned a spoiled ballot and discarded into a statistic. I don't vote and it gets discarded into a statistic. Neither is any use, neither makes any difference.

I've seen nothing posted here yet that adequately explains why not even turning up is a better option than spoiling a ballot.

And I've seen nothing from the chapters you typed convincing me spoiling a ballot is a worthwhile idea.

Associate
I thought I wouldn't be able to vote as I was too late to change my address on the register after we moved recently. Called the council today and I can still go in and vote for my old address. Whoop!

Caporegime
I voted this morning...voted for the BNP just for the lolz really:p....Tories, Labour or Lib Dem??...as far as im concerned they are all as bad as each other,...full of false promises but then thats the same with any country i suppose.

But seriously i voted Conservative as they cant be any worse than what we have now unfortunately.

Caporegime
As long as you don't start complaining a few months down the line that the current government is **** :p

People who don't vote have every right to complain, claiming otherwise is just a ruse to get people to turn out and support our flawed political process.

Associate
Im not voting. I have paid absolutely no attention to political happenings in the last few years, and am in by no stretch of the imagination in a position to make an education decision.

Back
Top Bottom