• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone getting Rocket lake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rn2

rn2

Associate
I am still waiting for a decent priced elusive 3080 which could be a few more months. By that time the 5900x would be 7 months old (haven't got one of them either). I looked at some bench tests of the 10900k on an nhd15 with all cores at 5ghz and temps at up to 70oc. I think that's pretty good. Thinking of sticking with Intel now for the single core performance. I play some games which will benifit from single cores on direct x like planet coaster for example.

Last edited:
Associate
I wanted to upgrade and settled for a 3700x due to price/availability for the new stuff.
At first I wanted a 10700k and after that was thinking about Rocket lake but I decided Ryzen just because of the manufacturing node and power efficiency. There is no way Intel is going to draw less power in their +++++ node.
I also was fooled a little bit by the the higher boost frequency of the 10700k, but I calmed down after I saw on Gamers Nexus how short lived that frequency is because of power constraints........

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I wanted to upgrade and settled for a 3700x due to price/availability for the new stuff.
At first I wanted a 10700k and after that was thinking about Rocket lake but I decided Ryzen just because of the manufacturing node and power efficiency. There is no way Intel is going to draw less power in their +++++ node.
I also was fooled a little bit by the the higher boost frequency of the 10700k, but I calmed down after I saw on Gamers Nexus how short lived that frequency is because of power constraints........

I'm on the fence. I've just recieved my mobo for a 5900x but I may return it within the next two weeks as my pc isn't going to be built any time soon. I have all the other parts just no cpu or gpu. Another reason that I'm being swayed is the reliability.

Last edited:
Soldato
giphy.gif

Soldato
I am still waiting for a decent priced elusive 3080 which could be a few more months. By that time the 5900x would be 7 months old (haven't got one of them either). I looked at some bench tests of the 10900k on an nhd15 with all cores at 5ghz and temps at up to 60oc. I think that's pretty good. Thinking of sticking with Intel now for the single core performance. I play some games which will benifit from single cores on direct x like planet coaster for example.

Yeap! Can't wait for the 11900k to launch, hopefully in March. It will be the fastest gaming CPU out there, it has AVX-512 (something Ryzen 5000 will never have) and should be a killer gaming CPU for years to come. Will also not suffer from any of the weird Ryzen CPU bugs out there, since everything is tested on Intel first and much more thoroughly than AMD.

Hoping stock is as good as previous Intel launches. The 6th, 7th, 8th gen and so on had good availability after a few weeks, without insane price scalping as seen on Ryzen 5000. Intel make their own CPU's, and have 16 Fabs running 24/7, so hopefully we'll be able to get out chips quickly :)

Note to the AMD fans, frothing in anger reading this. I'm aware AVX-512 does nothing in games, but it does plenty in other software written to take advantage of it. A nice feature to have, as I'm sure Intel will pay developers to make more use of it, as it will artificially cripple AMD performance. This is much like Nvidia'a tactics, with Gameworks, RTX, DLSS. Horrible ethically, but the masses love it and buy Nvidia no matter what. Same will happen here!

Caporegime
Yeap! Can't wait for the 11900k to launch, hopefully in March. It will be the fastest gaming CPU out there, it has AVX-512 (something Ryzen 5000 will never have) and should be a killer gaming CPU for years to come. Will also not suffer from any of the weird Ryzen CPU bugs out there, since everything is tested on Intel first and much more thoroughly than AMD.

Hoping stock is as good as previous Intel launches. The 6th, 7th, 8th gen and so on had good availability after a few weeks, without insane price scalping as seen on Ryzen 5000. Intel make their own CPU's, and have 16 Fabs running 24/7, so hopefully we'll be able to get out chips quickly :)

Note to the AMD fans, frothing in anger reading this. I'm aware AVX-512 does nothing in games, but it does plenty in other software written to take advantage of it. A nice feature to have, as I'm sure Intel will pay developers to make more use of it, as it will artificially cripple AMD performance. This is much like Nvidia'a tactics, with Gameworks, RTX, DLSS. Horrible ethically, but the masses love it and buy Nvidia no matter what. Same will happen here!

You know what else can be used in other software? All those lovely cores that Intel won't give you because they're rehashing 14nm for the billionth time and can't get decent performance without blowing power usage to the point they've had to drop cores from their flagship "best gaming CPU".

But sure its got AVX-512, will draw 300W+ and made by a company with dubious ethical practices....

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Well I'm sending my mb back. Read about too many ongoing issues with ryzen cpus. I only game. I would rather do that then wait months before getting all the parts to find it won't boot up. A lot of games still prefer single core speed.

As for the couple of silly troll replies well. At least there will be one on release for me then.

Soldato
Is Rocket Lake the last gen that Z490 will support? Gaming-wise I guess no huge benefit upgrading if you have an i7 8/9xxx or better?

Yes, it's a drop in upgrade for Z490. There'll also be a Z590 for new buyers.

11th gen desktop is the first new architecture from Intel in 5.5 years... It's rumoured 15-20% IPC increase will mean it takes the gaming performance crown away from Ryzen. Quite hilarious that Intel's 14nm chips will be faster than AMD's 7nm in gaming, imagine when Intel release a 7nm CPU lol!

Of course Rocket lake will use more power than Ryzen, though as the Nvidia 3000 release showed us, people don't care about power consumption, as long as it's the fastest ;)

Also rumours that Intel is in talks with TSMC to produce Intel CPU's on their future 4nm process. This would be a great decision for the short term, as Intel can afford to pay much more per wafer than AMD, who already struggle to get enough 7nm wafers from TSMC. Intel can afford to do this while their own fabs bring their own 7nm online.

Fun times ahead!

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Yes, it's a drop in upgrade for Z490. There'll also be a Z590 for new buyers.

11th gen desktop is the first new architecture from Intel in 5.5 years... It's rumoured 15-20% IPC increase will mean it takes the gaming performance crown away from Ryzen. Quite hilarious that Intel's 14nm chips will be faster than AMD's 7nm in gaming, imagine when Intel release a 7nm CPU lol!

Of course Rocket lake will use more power than Ryzen, though as the Nvidia 3000 release showed us, people don't care about power consumption, as long as it's the fastest ;)

Also rumours that Intel is in talks with TSMC to produce Intel CPU's on their future 4nm process. This would be a great decision for the short term, as Intel can afford to pay much more per wafer than AMD, who already struggle to get enough 7nm wafers from TSMC. Intel can afford to do this while their own fabs bring their own 7nm online.

Fun times ahead!

Another reason for my decision to go rocket lake is that the alder lake cpus are rumoured to be up to 150tdp. I'd like to give that a miss until Intel can get control on their tdps.

Soldato
Well I'm sending my mb back. Read about too many ongoing issues with ryzen cpus. I only game. I would rather do that then wait months before getting all the parts to find it won't boot up. A lot of games still prefer single core speed.

As for the couple of silly troll replies well. At least there will be one on release for me then.

Shame you never got to use it. I've had 2 and had no issues. Both have been outstanding.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Haha! I went 4790k > 3600 while I waited for a 5900x. I got one off the MM.

Fair game :)

You know what else can be used in other software? All those lovely cores that Intel won't give you because they're rehashing 14nm for the billionth time and can't get decent performance without blowing power usage to the point they've had to drop cores from their flagship "best gaming CPU".

But sure its got AVX-512, will draw 300W+ and made by a company with dubious ethical practices....

I've read that the max wattage will be 250w.

I will be undervolting the gpu by 100w. Same performance and 10oc less so that will free up 100 watts and even out the difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rocket lake is probably capable of more than 250w, Gigabyte added 17 phase 100A power stages to its z590 boards for a reason

250w is the stock PL2 limit which most boards will run at by default, with manual overclocking and going by vrm sizes they'll be pushing 400w

Associate
Imagine when Intel release a 7nm CPU lol

lol, that’s not how it works. The reason Intel can’t go smaller is because they’re built around an inferior manufacturing process - these are stop gap processors but the move to 7 will be a massive change for them and come with a lot of issues; something which the likes of AMD, Apple and Qualcomm have already dealt with.

They’ve lost so much market share with their lack of foresight and innovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom