Anyone going to Adobe Cloud?

Soldato
Anyone here swapping over to it?
Im really unsure myself as really im not using it at home enough, but also being locked into a subscription for as I read it would be for the rest of your life, doesn't seem great.

Soldato
Hmmm......got a quote last week for 7 new licences of CS6 and 2 x upgrades. This is the last time Adobe are releasing boxed products, CS7 onwards will be in 'creative cloud'. I've been quoted at £362 per licence as an opening offer.
My supplier then got back to me and offered the 2nd year at the same £362 instead of the full price of £650.
Thing is, you are then tied into a subscription otherwise your software expires and deactivates after the year is up.
For us, we only really use InDesign, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro, and having everyone on the same level is more important than having the latest edition, so it's more cost effective for us to buy CS6 boxed licences and stick with them for the next 3 years.
It works out at about £7,150 this way, but to go buy creative cloud licences for the next 3 years would be £12,366.

We'll stick with the boxed product thanks.

Soldato
OP
Im not sure on the details, but was watching one vid, and basically the fella explained that, say, he was working on the Cloud version, then stopped paying his monthly fees for whatever reason, theirs no way to go back and work on that file as he has effectively removed the software, is that true?

It seems that you are now simply renting the software, rather than having any kind of ownership of it!?

Soldato
It seems that you are now simply renting the software, rather than having any kind of ownership of it!?

Nitpicking, but you never owned it though. You've always licensed it... only licenses used to be permanent.

Personally I'd happily subscribe, but the prices are way too high. And the few programs where an Elements product exists, it simply doesn't do enough for me.

Unless you use Camera RAW in Photoshop and will be acquiring a new camera in the near future, then I'd be sticking with CS5 or CS6 for the foreseeable. I honestly can't think of anything else which will need updating in the next few years, unless they've got a killer new feature in the making (I'm thinking of things like Content Aware fill in Photoshop).

While not ideal, hopefully they'll introduce a product between the Elements and CS range which contains much of the semi-pro features at a semi-pro price. Currently you're either a pro or an amatuer, and if ever there was a software range which targeted the semi-pro, CS was it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on it. I didn't have much option really as one of my biggest clients has it, and wanted to use the collaborative tools on future projects. I also like the ability to allow people to view proofs from the original files without an option
to download the finished artwork.

As a freelancer the subs are quite manageable but I think the value is pretty shoddy compared to the US prices for the same service though, they should have a more scalable product range as I can't see myself ever touching Story, Premiere Pro, Speedgrade, Audition, Muse or After Effects.

Soldato
As I said in another thread, I use probably 10-20% of a product's features whereas the Cloud prices are priced at 100% value. Therefore they're far too expensive for me.

I also use quite a broad range of programs that don't fit into their 'packages' - Photoshop, Lightroom, Encore and After Effects mainly. Renting them all separately is the cheapest option and that's still £864 per year...

Soldato
Banzai_Joe said:
Exactly what we've found. Cloud is barely cost effective over two years let alone five for Photoshop and Indesign and similarly priced products currently.

this_is_gav said:
Personally I'd happily subscribe, but the prices are way too high.
Pretty much the sentiment of everyone I've spoken to about it. The fact is that yearly subscription is going up from ~£100 to ~£200 for a single product. How the hell do you justify that to a business?

The US has a completely different tax system which makes subscription models cost effective. Rather than adjusting the model for non-US regions, Adobe have just stuck two fingers up and told people to lump it. At least Microsoft is pretty good with it's regional pricing, plus it's subscription models are much cheaper than buying perpetual licenses in all cases. I expect Adobe to drop it's prices significantly or make a compromise on perpetual licenses.

Associate
As I said in another thread, I use probably 10-20% of a product's features whereas the Cloud prices are priced at 100% value. Therefore they're far too expensive for me.

I also use quite a broad range of programs that don't fit into their 'packages' - Photoshop, Lightroom, Encore and After Effects mainly. Renting them all separately is the cheapest option and that's still £864 per year...

Doesn't a year's sub for all the programs cost £563 though?

I'm currently on the education discount so it works out to just under £200 a year, which is well worth it considering you get some other perks, Adobe really need to lower prices across the board to truly make it worth people's time though.

Soldato
While I'm sticking to CS5 for the foreseeable future I'm also a bit confused at prices people keep quoting.

It's £45.88 for everything = £562.56 year.

They keep sending me 'time limited' offers for £190.56

Back
Top Bottom