Anyone going to be buying £65 PC games?

Associate
Square Enix seems to be one of the first companies adopting the $70 price point for this generation of games with Final Fantasy VII Intergrade supposedly selling for £65 on the Epic Game Store - is this too much for a PC game?

I recently bought Forza Horizon 5 at launch for £50 on Steam and that kinda feels like the most I'd ever pay for a game (notwithstanding a decent physical special-edition release of something).

Given that PC games often get quickly discounted on Steam etc. and the competitive market for grey-market keys, I'm wondering if a lot less PC gamers are going to be purchasing new releases at their launch prices?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-standard-edition-will-cost-gbp65-usd70-on-pc

Associate
OP
Don't we already have those kind of games? e.g. the "super deluxe" versions of a good number of games, "micro transaction" games, not sure what to call WoT, maybe "macro transaction" as their premium tanks are stupidly expensive for the actual time that it probably takes to develop.

Well, the 'Deluxe' Edition of FFVII on PC is going to be £90 (!) :eek:

Nope. Never buy games anywhere near that price. Actually one exception is MSFS2020 as I was very eager to get that.

Yeah, I paid around £110 for the hardcopy* Premium Deluxe Edition of FS2020 as it was the effectively the same price as the digital version - I don't regret the purchase as you do get a lot of extra content but that's the exception for me rather than the rule - typically I wait for stuff to be discounted on Steam.

*Incidentally, I don't recommended the hardcopy version - you have to install it all from multiple DVDs then register it on the Microsoft Store then download the whole damn thing again :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ironically OP paid £50 for FH5. He could have got 6 months game pass for that and had FH5 and plenty more to play.

Yeah, Game Pass is a great deal if you're fully invested in Windows - personally I'm more invested in Linux and only dip into Windows occasionally (specifically for gaming) so all my gaming purchases are on Steam (which I can use on both). Also, I'm not into subscription services (the only 'subs' I have are for rent, water, electricity and internet :D) though again, I can't knock the value for Game Pass.

Associate
OP
Got a source for that? The only edition I've seen anywhere is the one on Epic that initially had the £69.99 tag with all the content and DLC items. That includes the items that were apart of the Deluxe edition on the PS4

It's in the Eurogamer link I originally posted:

Eurogamer said:
In case you were wondering, the "deluxe edition" bundle of Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade will reportedly retail for £90/$95/€105.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-standard-edition-will-cost-gbp65-usd70-on-pc

Associate
OP
Does that article not seem odd to you? It talks about the standard being £65 and that it doesn't include a season pass, cosmetic and DLC which besides DLC it's never had a season pass or cosmetic items with the DLC being bundled in the base price.

Maybe Eurogamer got the pricing confused with Forspoken (another Square Enix game where the 'Deluxe' Edition is £90):

Polygon said:
Square Enix, at least, now appears comfortable trying out pricing parity with new-gen consoles on PC, as illustrated by Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade on the Epic Games Store and Forspoken on Steam, which is also listed at $69.99. (In addition, Forspoken will be available in a $94.99 Digital Deluxe bundle.)

https://www.polygon.com/22827986/final-fantasy-7-remake-intergrade-pc-release-date-price

Back
Top Bottom