Anyone got a garage door remote on their bike?

Caporegime
Hi all

Getting a bit tired of having to fish around in my pockets for the garage blipper when I get home from work / before I set off, so I was thinking about having something actually on my bike, by butchering one of my damaged spare remotes:

F6Tp2OY.png

Has anyone done anything like this? Do I just need to pick a 12V switch and wire it up to the appropriate contacts on the circuit board, then hide the board somewhere that it won't get wet?

Cheers.

Soldato
12v will kill it its only running off 1 aaa

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

I presumed he meant just wiring a suitable external switch across the existing switch contacts and retain the original battery. The voltage rating of the switch is irrelevant though.

If you hide the circuit board within a metal housing you'll stop it working, or at least massively reduce the range. Even if it's not directly exposed to water then the board and components are likely corrode from moisture in the air if the bike is ridden in the rain, or stays outside at work etc. You might want to consider using a conformal coating to make it moisture resistant (polyurethane varnish will work at a pinch).

Caporegime
OP
Cheers guys.

I was planning to use that little existing 12V battery (it's not AAA), however I'm now planning to wire the board into the headlight flash to pass circuit, as I'll never use it near my home and there's very little danger of me accidentally pressing it as I drive away.

Googling around, it seems that placing the transmitter under the seat wrapped in a freezer bag with lots of electrical tape should prevent corrosion, but I'll certainly look into coating it to make sure. Thing is you can get replacement blippers for a fiver on eBay that copy the signal, so if it ever corrodes, it'll probably be cheaper and almost as easy to replace the unit.

Soldato
I was going to hack my garage door with an Arduino so I could open the garage door from my smartwatch...then I decided it was too much hassle :D

Back
Top Bottom