1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had an SSD die?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Telecaster, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Telecaster

Mobster

I have a 512gb sandisk that has my Steam library on it, I don't game any more so I hadn't noticed that it had stopped showing up in the explorer window, I was going to repurpose it for the main drive in a NUC I've acquired so was about to clone my C drive to it and noticed it wasn't showing.

Changed a few cables to rule them out and it just isn't recognised, same in the bios. it's a bit odd really as it's had virtually no use at all.

2. edscdk

Soldato

Seen 3 die out of about 500, mostly cheap crappy brands and a lot of second hand ones as well (over about 4 or 5 years

3. bledd

Don

So far, not seen one die. I've had a cheap Ocz old drive cause boot issues, it's been demoted to an external usb ''temp file mover'

4. HoneyBadger

Wise Guy

Had a few die. They just give up and exhibit what you describe.

Just check disk manager in windows and the BIOS to confirm.

5. Telecaster

Mobster

Yeah that's first things I checked, I also have an external USB to SATA adapter and have taken the drive out and tried connecting it as an external drive and it's still not showing up.

6. tamzzy

Soldato

yea, had a sandisk extreme pro die on me.
    fwiw sandisk RMA was painless and took 14 days from starting the RMA to getting the new ssd back.

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

I've had some cheapy ones die - but they were used for silly projects so not sure if that was the SSD or the abuse they took.

8. Telecaster

Mobster

Probably out of warranty, I can't remember when I bought it or where from TBH. One for the bin I think.

9. Raggs

Hitman

had one pack up corsair drive tried everything to get it working stripped everything out of the pc so just that attached and gpu, still no joy so bought a Samsung evo as a replacement one last thing before the corsair went in the bin bought a 2.5 enclosure for it and it worked with that re formatted and now it's back in the pc i don't trust it as a boot drive though

10. ED209

Soldato

I have had a Samsung 840 Evo die on me and then had the reseller replace it with a 850 Evo.

The ssd would be fine then all of a sudden the drive would disappear and windows would crash. This was jus a storage drive as well, I could reboot the pc and would be ok till it happened again. I had to disconnect or form the pc for about ten mins before it would re appear

11. Telecaster

Mobster

Interesting. I'm just relieved this was a steam drive and not C drive. Still not good though as I'd relied on having it for the NUC which meant not having to buy a drive for it which obviously keeps the cost down, and now I've ended up buying one for it anyway!

12. FlyingScotsman

Gangster

Not had any die, and have had a few through the years, my boy has an old ocz vertex 2 which is years old and still running strong in his pc.

13. Vince

Soldato

Interesting topic as I was talking to hypertec about this very thing at work a few weeks back after a powercut took out 6 SSD's. Turns out there is a batch of controllers (sandisk) that many manufacturers use that can simply just die. :( I probably still have an email explaining the issue if anyone is interested?

14. tamzzy

Soldato

Yes please

15. Vince

Soldato

Right, turns out it wasn't a few weeks ago but was Feb, I also can't seem to find the techie bits but I think that might be because I rang the guy after this email:

[​IMG]

Iv'e removed some bits and bobs from the image such as subject, email addresses etc.

16. APM

Wise Guy

I've lost a Sandisk but the rma process was very quick and easy so...

17. Disco_P

Mobster

I've only had a Samsung NVME drive die on me. Kicked the bucket after about a year whereas I have 2 Samsung 830 drives going strong from 2011.

18. tamzzy

Soldato

which sandisk model is this?

19. Glanza

Sgarrista

Only had a m.2 drive fail so far, not a 'proper' SSD.

Only had 1 Kingston SSD fail at work was getting on for 4 years old at the time.

20. Hades

Capodecina

I had a Corsair die on me last week.