Anyone have a daytime MOT?

Associate
Ive been thinking of getting a daytime MOT for my track bike for the summer, but there seem to be a lot of conflicting stuff on the web regarding brake lights etc.

From what I can gather a horn is required, and number plate, but after that it seems a bit grey.

The bike is my old '04 R1 (in me sig!) which I have stripped all the lights from and stuck a race fairing on. The cans are road legal, as are the tyres, and also the speedo is still there and working.

Anyone any relalble info/advice about this?
Cheers all

Associate
copied from another forum

The basic answer is that there is no official daylight MOT. You present your bike for a normal MOT, it then either pass's or fails. In the case of headlights, mirrors, brake lights if they are fitted then they must work, you will not get away with them being masked over. You do however require a horn, this does not have to be run from the engine electrics.

If your bike has no lights etc and pass's you will be given your V30 certificate, but also a V32 which states that the bike had no lights etc at the time of tesing, and should only be used during daylight hours (sound familiar) and not at night or during times of low visibility. This will also advise you to get lights etc.

In the case of tyres, if by some strange reason the not for road use/competion use only lettering had somehow been removed, then this should also pass (this is dependant on the tester).

This also applies to exhausts, you can either put a sticker over the not for road use (the tester cannot remove it to check) or just file and polish it off.

Soldato
What kiel said basically, with one caveat in that iirc the headlights and brakelights are 'linked' in the rules, so you can't chuck a brakelight on there (I'd want one for safety personally) without having the headlight, at least for the MOT day :p

But horn, number plate and possibly the red reflector at the back, are the only necessary items :)

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies.

Who'd have thought there would be an MOT testers' forum?:D

This inspection applies to; all machines except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or has such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

So - if a stop lamp is fitted, but there are no front & rear position lamps fitted, or they are disconnected - you cannot fail for the position lamps, you can only fail if the stop lamp doesnt work, but then you would have to prove that it had not been disconnected !!

Soldato
If it's on there it has to work - mirrors, indicators, brake lights, headlights etc. If you take them off it'll pass as long as it doesn't leave any sharp edges.

If it's still the same you don't need a legal number plate - just how it's secured has to be safe. ;) Managed to get a 2"x4" through no probs. :)

Associate
If you only need a horn and plate then ill be mot'ing my track bike to save on testing!

Do you need a custom horn as the left switchgear with light controls wont work?

Associate
Yes but left switch gear will have indicator and full beam controls so do these need to be considered or do you need a single switch for the horn?

Back
Top Bottom