Anyone have an affordable height adjustable desk?

Soldato
I just bought a new chair and it doesn't have as much height adjustment as my old one so i'm looking at replacing my manky old desk too.

I cant afford the fancy £400+ ones and was wondering if anyone here has had any luck with any cheaper alternatives?

Associate
I just bought a new chair and it doesn't have as much height adjustment as my old one so i'm looking at replacing my manky old desk too.

I cant afford the fancy £400+ ones and was wondering if anyone here has had any luck with any cheaper alternatives?

Do you need it to be adjustable once or up and down on command? I have an Ikea desk which comes with legs you can adjust but you do it once and it is set. I am the only one who sits as my desk so need to have one like my office which are electrically adjustable. Needed as we hot desk.

Soldato
Do you need it to be adjustable once or up and down on command? I have an Ikea desk which comes with legs you can adjust but you do it once and it is set. I am the only one who sits as my desk so need to have one like my office which are electrically adjustable. Needed as we hot desk.
Same. I have ikea trestles which are height adjustable albeit not on the fly.

Soldato
OP

Yeah set and forget would probably do as long as it can be set at a height that feels "right". I'll have a look the Ikea range.

Soldato
I have a small desk, I got a new chair and wanted it raised so I repurposed my old xbox games....

They are now serving as a "Riser" so I could manually adjust the height of my desk up or down by removing games.

Saved myself 400 quid.

Man of Honour
I have an Ikea one with height adjustable legs though you can't adjust it on the fly - bought the legs and top as separates IIRC was something like £9 per leg and £30-40 for the top at the time - currently £150 for the complete set.

Caporegime
If you are gonna get IKEA here's a few tips.

It feels like actual office tabletops are made from compressed cardboard and are hollow. I hate them. Go for a kitchen counter top. They start at around 30quid for 180cm.

Account for "sagging" in the middle and maybe add another middle leg. The kitchen rep said one every 90cm, I thought she was just uplselling legs but it's needed if freestanding.

If you want a cheap, non adjustable, desk look at the TÄRENDÖ kitchen table.

Soldato
I had one of the 500 quid electric Ikea ones, I returned it after a few days for refund
it wasnt big enough (surface area) and the flat leg basees got in the way of my foot pedals

Caporegime
I had one of the 500 quid electric Ikea ones, I returned it after a few days for refund
it wasnt big enough (surface area) and the flat leg basees got in the way of my foot pedals

They had one on the weekend with the buttons on the side and the desk was more than big enough for a standard desk. It was no geeks paradise desk that are usually 10ft though

Man of Honour
I have a small desk, I got a new chair and wanted it raised so I repurposed my old xbox games....

They are now serving as a "Riser" so I could manually adjust the height of my desk up or down by removing games.

Saved myself 400 quid.
I like the cut of this mans gib.

Soldato
I had the corner electric sit/stand from IKEA and while I had no problem with the size, it kept breaking.

I went through three power packs and two sets of legs before I called it a day and sent it back for a refund.

I know £500 isn’t cheap, but it seems in the world of electric sit/stand desks, you get what you pay for. I just can’t bring myself to fork out for a Herman Miller or similar.

Back
Top Bottom