Anyone here re-apply thermal paste to Xbox One X??

Associate
As title really, my Xbox One X consoles fan is fairly loud on some games and seen post where people have opened up the Xbox and seen the mess Microsoft has made and reapplied thermal paste.

My question is, whats the best type to use normal stuff like Arctic Silver or liquid metal stuff?

Soldato
Wouldn't want to touch it.. As above said it should still be under warranty.. The one X uses a vapour chamber with liquid cooling.. wouldn't want to touch that.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure I guess you guy must be lucky, some games are worst than others. State of decay 2 after you been playing for say half an hour or so and go to the community screen (where it shows the members in your group) the fan on my revs up something stupid and it doesn't even make sense why it would do it on that screen. Another one if Elite Dangerous when your hovering in a space station to land yet, Far Cry 5 after playing for 40 minutes or so gets loud yet Sea Of Thieves I don't hear the fan at all

Caporegime
The annoying thing about the noise for me is it will go up and down instead of a constant fan noise. I might send it to MS actually, it's getting worse.

Annoyingly I can't seem to register my console either, the form on the MS site says 'invalid phone number' :(

Last edited:
Associate
People do realize that however good the cooling solution (particularly on a small form factor PC or console) the thing will get hot enough for the fans to ramp up?

Don
People do realize that however good the cooling solution (particularly on a small form factor PC or console) the thing will get hot enough for the fans to ramp up?

Yes but having repasted my PS4, there is a huge difference in how often it needs to ramp up (and to what "level").
I think on the PS4 there are 4 fan speeds - before pasting mine was mostly on the 3rd speed, rising to the 4th speed under heavy load. After replacing it idles on the lowest speed, rises to 2nd level when playing, and occasionally ramps to the 3rd speed.

The thermal paste in the picture above isn't going to help as there is too much of it that has dried and hardened around the core. Only need a tiny amount and ideally pre-spread over the core to ensure it stays thin.

Caporegime

Yes but it's to what level.... if others are saying theirs is whisper quiet and mine sounds like an F1 car driving past, something isn't right.

I can handle fan noise, I sit next to my gaming PC and although not loud it's noticeable. The difference there is it's a constant sound pretty much, this whirring from the X is irritating.

Soldato
I've posted this a million times and will do once more.... :D

Each One X has a unique power delivery system to achieve its higher speeds. Some chips require more volts, others less. The ones that need more will run hotter and louder but thats the way the cookie crumbles. There's nothing wrong with it although i do sympathise with you.

Soldato
Maybe return to Microsoft instead since you have been so unlucky with replacement consoles?

Mine is super quiet, mainly as MS have nothing to play on it :p

Joking aside, never really heard mine ramp up. Amazing built quality on this console. Feels very premium

Back
Top Bottom