Commissario
I appreciate this is a really long shot. I'm in Woking for a week and having done this last week, I know I'm going to be bored stupid.

Anyone in Woking fancy a meal/beer/G&T this week?

Commissario
OP
Have you tried the guy at the local Currys? He might be coming off shift and fancy a pint.
They closed at 16:00, he'll be long gone now.
I'm ensconced in my hotel room for the evening with a pizza on the way (with 15% discount through Just Eat thanks to JUSTEAT15) but am free for the rest of the week.

Commissario
OP
good luck though!

unlucky, the town center is a bit of a dump at the moment, you will be bored!

Lots of building work near your hotel, not sure what time they kick off with the work
I think all the building work at the hotel itself is finished now. Last week I was in their new annex and they told me I was the first person to use that room. It smelt new and was absolutely spotlessly clean.

I spent a couple of weeks in Woking two years ago at the Travelodge by the station and this Premier Inn is a lot better. I can see the difference in the town centre with all the building going on there but the shops themselves seem very similar to how I remember them.

It's a nice walk along the canal into town from here.

Commissario
OP
ah you must be in the premier inn with the beefeater? if so thats a good call due to the building work in the town center. There is a lot more choice for restaurants these days so no issues getting a nice meal, however the pub choice is still pretty poor.
I took a walk in this evening but nothing really jumped out at me. I quite fancy a decent burger one evening if you have any recommendations?

Could go bowling in the big apple ;) :p
Aww, that's something I used to do regularly and was good at but unfortunately the last time I bowled, I put my knee out and I'm not prepared for that to happen again. I think my bowling days are over.

I'm in Woking. If you fancy lunch one day I'd be up for it. I'm not really around in the evenings I'm afraid.
Lovely idea, thanks but although I'm staying in Woking, I'm working in Send/Ripley so I leave the room at around 06:00 and get back around 17:00.

QRP stuff from the hotel room?
I don't tend to take radios away with me and apart from the U3s I've got, nothing else does QRP. Life's too short! I don't think bringing a PSU, Kenwood 590 and an aerial is practical :)

Commissario
OP
I walked into town but nothing jumped out at me so I went back to the hotel, had three large G&Ts in my room, then met up with an ex colleague and ate a starter, side and pudding in the Beefeater.

Commissario
OP
There is the burger box place a few doors up from macdonalds, but it’s overpriced. Burgers are nice though.
I went there this evening, excellent bacon cheese burger and a portion of chilli fries and I didn't think it was expensive at all. It helped that the woman asked if I worked locally to which of course my answer was "yes" so she gave me 10% discount. It was about eleven quid I think.

My suggestion if anyone fancies it is for Thursday evening in either the Slug & Lettuce for "Tanqueray Thursday" or the Wetherspoons. I know that 'spoons generally gets slated on here but I've never had a bad meal at one and the ale is cheap. I had steak and kidney pud last week for just over a fiver which left me more money for drinkies.

Pub food at the Ogilvy isn't bad either and they have some decent beers.

If anyone's up for it, let me know your preference out of those three for Thursday evening.

Commissario
OP
OK, nobody has said they’re interested in meeting this evening and I may have to work late so will give the idea a miss tonight.

Maybe next time I’m down here for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom