Anyone know/knew a leapling?

Soldato
It's Feb 29th - leap day, which happens once every 4 years (bar 2100)

Know anyone who is celebrating their birthday today or knew someone who was?

Friend's brother is 11 years old today (44 years) and still gets cards, badges etc with Happy 11th Birthday on them. Dad's cousin's husband was leapling - he would have been 22 (88).

Man of Honour
Century years apparently need to be dividable by 400 to be leap years, don't recall ever knowing that before a quick Google a moment ago.

It's because a year is ~365.24 days, not 365.25 days.

I remember because when I was in infant school I corrected a teacher who said a year was 365 days. That taught me that being right doesn't always matter but having more power always matters.

Soldato
Century years apparently need to be dividable by 400 to be leap years, don't recall ever knowing that before a quick Google a moment ago.

Tell that to Excel, if you enter 1st of march 1900 as a date and subtract 1(day) from it, it'll quite happily tell you that the day before was the 29th Feb 1900 which never existed (but excel considers a valid date)... do be fair, it was delibriate to maintain compatability with files from lotus 123

Caporegime
A friend of mine is a leaping/leaper? :D - his way of celebrating his birthday on the 29th is having it as the day he replaces his weekend car - has a company car for the day to day - he picked up a low mileage Capri 2.8i on Thursday which replaced a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth that he bought exactly 4 years ago.

He doesn't celebrate his birthday at all on non leap years which I've always found a little odd but equally quite like that he sticks to it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom