Anyone motorbike into the centre of London please?

Permabanned
I have got a new job, smack bang in the middle of London (near 'Bank' underground station) I am seriously considering riding my triumph street triple motorbike into central london every day to avoid the train crush/hassle.

I have got there by train for my first 2 weeks, I see loads and loads of motorbike parking all ove rthe shop basically, but no free spaces everything jam packed with motorbikes (I mean handlebar to handlebar every single space gone) by the time I'm down there at 9am.

1) Is motorbike parking free? I know there's no congestion charge, but is there any other charge I may not have considered?
2) Is riding around central london during rush as 'nutter mental horrible difficult' as urban legend suggests (I am a new rider on 'big' bikes), or not nearly that bad once you get used to it? I have just passed my test but consider myself a reasonably capable rider ???
3) The most important question, at what time in the monring will I need to get in to the city on the bike in order to fairly much guarantee me a motorbike space??

Much appreciated,

Britters.

Soldato
First off no matter how capable you think you are you will get mobbed by crazy Italian Couriers on 50cc deathtraps :D
I found that all the decent bike parking was gone from 8:30 onwards :( in the end I found a nearby carpark place thats between the railway bridge archers, £5 a day and I knew my bike was safe there.
Might be worth looking to see if there is something similar close to you... I would be worried about leaving an ST somewhere obvious, They are a very sought after bike.. hell I got something nicked off my GSXR outside a law court in london :p

Associate
1) Is motorbike parking free? I know there's no congestion charge, but is there any other charge I may not have considered?
2) Is riding around central london during rush as 'nutter mental horrible difficult' as urban legend suggests (I am a new rider on 'big' bikes), or not nearly that bad once you get used to it? I have just passed my test but consider myself a reasonably capable rider ???
3) The most important question, at what time in the monring will I need to get in to the city on the bike in order to fairly much guarantee me a motorbike space??

1) Other that Westminister which is pay by phone, yes it is free.

Other costs to consider are having peds literally rammed in next to your p&j

2) It's a fruity as you make it, there are some proper loonies out there.

3) Pot luck, if the bay nearest is full look around for another one (There's usually a space somewhere)

ETA; I ride an old ****ter in so my nice bikes don't get damaged

Tea Drinker
Don
I bike in most days to SW4 and find the commute easy, most cars are sitting still, buses are big, slow and red and you can use most bus lanes.

I've seen people drag other bikes over in parking spots because they have taken too much space, me I've got a site to park on and a gateman to keep an eye on my bike (I sign his timesheet ;))

Soldato
Make me glad Edinburgh isn't a real city and my commute in is pretty much a breeze and I can park at my office!

Associate
Hi.
Dont follow the couriers! They can be mental...but the good safe ones are worth watching fo their aproach to jams etc.
Head up Lombard St from bank onto Fenchurch St, theres bike parking off a few streets up there and a big one on Billiter St but have go into Billiter from Leadenhall St. Theres spaces there most days.

Just enjoy the fact your on a bike and can go round pretty much everyone at somepoint!
Once you learn your route and shortcuts its easyer and less stress.
I wont use Pubic transport now, on the gixxer every day.

Soldato
Just get a crappy scooter and ride it like you stole it.. I had to ride into central London nr where you were everyday and your triple will get nicked or dropped.. Keep that for the weekends and just get yourself a commuter bike, and chain it to someone elses chain. Like a link. Even if its crappy

Soldato
Just get a crappy scooter and ride it like you stole it.. I had to ride into central London nr where you were everyday and your triple will get nicked or dropped.. Keep that for the weekends and just get yourself a commuter bike, and chain it to someone elses chain. Like a link. Even if its crappy

I'd be very bemused if someone chained their bike to lock/chain on my bike, purely because I don't have one of those wee stickers. I forget the campaign, but I'd actually be up for the linking system they proposed.

Soldato
I'd be very bemused if someone chained their bike to lock/chain on my bike, purely because I don't have one of those wee stickers. I forget the campaign, but I'd actually be up for the linking system they proposed.

Don't know anything about any wee stickers? But in London, if you don't chain your bike to something, it won't be long before a bunch of tossers turn up in a white van with a mattress on the floor of the van. With two scaffolding poles, 4 will jump out, put the poles through the wheels, lift the bike and throw it into the back of the van and be off within 30secs.. At least with a heavy duty chain, they'd need some serious cutting equipment and a lot of patience and nerve as passers by watch them at work.

Your best bet is have something that organised crime is unlikely to want, such as a scooter. Then chain it, as your average chav, who will be interested is going to be un-equipped to cut through any decent chains.

Back
Top Bottom