Anyone non-panic buying?

Soldato
Supply of certain foods is getting patchy and is likely to get worse. Yesterday's news featured schools being told to stock up on frozen food to cover a potential shortage.

Energy rates are rising and although the government assures us that there won't be black outs this winter, the grid will be running to within 6% of capacity (still within guidelines though).

A couple of work colleagues are genuinely panicking IMO by buying a 2nd chest freezer for the garage and stocking it with frozen food. If we all did that it would be a repetition of the fuel panic buying situation and there would be no food left within days. I do, however, think it's prudent to buy one or two extra long life food items per week and have a box of extra food just in case. So far I've bought:

Dried pasta
Tinned beans
Tinned vegetables
Tinned fruit

Regarding power, our house is all electric. I've bought 2 extra camping gas bottles, not the massive cylinders, but the little ones campers put in a backpack, so on top of the normal stock in our camping gear that's a total of 4 bottles. We've also got a box of candles anyway, just standard white candles. We've also got 2 usb powerbanks which I'll keep charged to charge phones with.

So, if things do get dire with food supplies in the winter, we'll have a bit of grub. If there is a power cut we can have a cuppa and some light, and use the phone.

I don't think the above precautions are venturing into foil hat territory, is anyone preparing for shortages this winter? Or is anyone really not bothered at all and thinks it's a waste of time and effort? I'd be interested to hear people's views.

Soldato
I'm not bulk buying stuff, just slowly increasing my reserves, I think all the idiots will start panic shopping food at the start of dec

Soldato
groundhog day - Just heard paper mills rely on gas, apparently ongoing govt discsussions (kimberley clark northfleet)

Associate
Supply of certain foods is getting patchy and is likely to get worse. Yesterday's news featured schools being told to stock up on frozen food to cover a potential shortage.

Energy rates are rising and although the government assures us that there won't be black outs this winter, the grid will be running to within 6% of capacity (still within guidelines though).

A couple of work colleagues are genuinely panicking IMO by buying a 2nd chest freezer for the garage and stocking it with frozen food. If we all did that it would be a repetition of the fuel panic buying situation and there would be no food left within days. I do, however, think it's prudent to buy one or two extra long life food items per week and have a box of extra food just in case. So far I've bought:

Dried pasta
Tinned beans
Tinned vegetables
Tinned fruit

Regarding power, our house is all electric. I've bought 2 extra camping gas bottles, not the massive cylinders, but the little ones campers put in a backpack, so on top of the normal stock in our camping gear that's a total of 4 bottles. We've also got a box of candles anyway, just standard white candles. We've also got 2 usb powerbanks which I'll keep charged to charge phones with.

So, if things do get dire with food supplies in the winter, we'll have a bit of grub. If there is a power cut we can have a cuppa and some light, and use the phone.

I don't think the above precautions are venturing into foil hat territory, is anyone preparing for shortages this winter? Or is anyone really not bothered at all and thinks it's a waste of time and effort? I'd be interested to hear people's views.

But this is part of the problem. All it takes is a % of people doing this then people see low stock on shelves and off we go again with people being insane. Not that I blame you for doing it, but it's all a part of the problem.

I'd would also argue that having a well stocked pantry (or equivalent, not everyone has a pantry) is just sensible anyway though, so I guess what I'm saying is meaningless. Standard.

Soldato
OP
But this is part of the problem. All it takes is a % of people doing this then people see low stock on shelves and off we go again with people being insane. Not that I blame you for doing it, but it's all a part of the problem.

I'd would also argue that having a well stocked pantry (or equivalent, not everyone has a pantry) is just sensible anyway though, so I guess what I'm saying is meaningless. Standard.

You're quite right. My grandparents are all dead but they lived through WW2 and rationing and much of this preparedness for supply shortages was passed onto my parents. I, however, only used to buy enough food to last a week and by the end of the week, the cupboards were bare. My gf, on the other hand, is a feeder and rams the cupboards full of food, but not necessarily food that will last.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've always had 3 months supply of food and enough water to go with it (or means to make water drinkable). Then there is the home grown veggies on top of that.

Back
Top Bottom