anyone remember barrysworld

Caporegime
barrys world/blueyonder servers were epic I had uber low pings too them.

Shame game servers are mostly dead now, especially community ones

Last edited:
Associate
barrys world/blueyonder servers were epic I had uber low pings too them.

Shame game servers are mostly dead now, especially community ones
Yep, imagine a MW II server with teh best maps on roatation and modes the players actually want, the ability to boot ******** off as well, it feels like a dream, swapping something decent for a pile of poop

Associate
During the festive season I discovered Quake2 Enhanced was released and became very curious. I had hardly played any games since the era some of you had mentioned 1998-2003. I was “gamed out” by that point , and instead casually played console games from time to time at friends places and now more recently played Roblox with my daughter.

I was known as Delboy on Jolt/BW servers and played on the Savage League CTF with Hells Fury.

Initially I got lots of info and discussions from text based NewsGroups, and naively assumed everyone knew about them. Then I spent a huge amount of time searching all the websites on Q2 Configs, modem init strings , tools like RogerWilco for voice chat and so on. Used “All Seeing Eye” for searching game servers.

I do recall at one point having read so much on PC config,Q2 config, over clocking Celeron cpu , that my first waking thought one weekend was how to modify the autoexex.cfg to get better performance. Eish!

Internet bills were getting big , so as mention by MasterDog , I used screaming.net for £10 a month to connect to an ISP. I do recall using Demon and Nildram as well. There was so much info provided, so much energy it seemed was used to provide us with info and tools to make the most of what we had in terms of PC spec and net connection. By 2000 I got 512k ADSL for £170 install and £60 per month.

I did notice spending a lot more time on chat and also noticing the trend of clans being affected by games like EverQuest.

Enjoyed the LAN parties of the time, travelling from Glasgow to Yorkshire (Liquid Lans) , Great Yarmouth and then flying with stripped down PC to London to meet the Hells Fury Clan mates. Savage also did lan parties which were very friendly and where ppl discover the difference between online persona and meeting in real life.

The other truth discovered is that it didn’t matter what games were being played from 3D games to online scrabble. It was who was with you when playing them.

Savage eventually then moved to becoming respawned.co.uk/forums where the core group still chat daily

Up till 2018 I did have a BarrysWorld Cap which I gave away online. Other memory that came up was about £17k needed for a switch to support BarrysWorld and a campaign being run to collect donations IIRC.

Last edited:
Associate
Now you've got me started! Quasar aka SmAsHeR here!
Frequented wordplay, Barry's world, jolt and then I found MPZ and realised that Mike lived a couple miles from me so we met up for a beer and 15 years later I was best man at his wedding!
Used to play Unreal and UT99 mostly and was a member of Swipe I think. Loved it!

Associate
Frequented wordplay, Barry's world, jolt and then I found MPZ and realised that Mike lived a couple miles from me so we met up for a beer and 15 years later I was best man at his wedding!
Used to play Unreal and UT99 mostly and was a member of Swipe I think. Loved it!
I used to play UT99 too. Was in one of the top clans in clan base, my brother played for the UK team and a super clan which had old members of the top clans. Good times. I still talk to people from them days and my brothers best friend is from UT!

Man of Honour
Hey Peeps

Just randomly came across this thread and saw my name mentioned :)

Thought I'd say hi!!

Duke how the devil are you?
Oh god not you two again :D

Yeah I'm all good thanks, you guys okay?

Associate
I used to play UT99 too. Was in one of the top clans in clan base, my brother played for the UK team and a super clan which had old members of the top clans. Good times. I still talk to people from them days and my brothers best friend is from UT!

What was your name and clan in UT? I was in [MD] who were a CTF clan, played at a high level but didn’t win anything

Hey Peeps

Just randomly came across this thread and saw my name mentioned :)

Thought I'd say hi!!

Duke how the devil are you?

Great to see you are still around mate.. I remember you living in Dorset.. what are you doing for work at the moment? You still doing IT stuff? What happened to MPZ ? I remember you running it with a woman at the time, or she was a admin I can’t remember.

Associate
What was your name and clan in UT? I was in [MD] who were a CTF clan, played at a high level but didn’t win anything

The clan I was in was [JAG] and my name was !!RaGe!!. We played team death match though

Great to see you are still around mate.. I remember you living in Dorset.. what are you doing for work at the moment? You still doing IT stuff? What happened to MPZ ? I remember you running it with a woman at the time, or she was a admin I can’t remember.
The clan I was in was [JAG] and my name was !!RaGe!!. We played team death match though

Associate
Anyone play the original medal of honour allied assault multiplayer? I was on a dial up at the time. Using the all seeing eye as the game searching tool. Dam I laughed so hard playing that game.
I was a genuine top player too. Can still play it but gotta screw around with game patches to get online. Servers don't run that good now once your on then.

Soldato
Anyone play the original medal of honour allied assault multiplayer? I was on a dial up at the time. Using the all seeing eye as the game searching tool. Dam I laughed so hard playing that game.
I was a genuine top player too. Can still play it but gotta screw around with game patches to get online. Servers don't run that good now once your on then.

Back
Top Bottom