Anyone replaced an iPhone 6 battery?

Soldato
Mine has every symptom of being nuked with the latest iOS update.

Crashes before update, and now just runs dog slow (presumably because it's being throttled)

Considering getting an Samsung S8 but with the S9 on the horizon I think I'm best giving this a shot. Only thing is I want to give it the best chance or working so hoping someone can point to a supplier/battery that's worked for them.

Everything from 3rd parties on Amazon/Ebay/Google searches just seems sooooo sketchy. The process looks simple enough just looking for any advice on where to get one.

Soldato
iOS 10.2.1 applied a power management "fix" that has the side effect of throttling the CPU if the battery is worn out to prevent it shutting down randomly when at 40% power or under and the CPU demands more power than the battery can supply.

My iPhone 6 was running at half speed. New battery and it's back to original performance. Go check the thread in the Apple Hardware forum.

Soldato
I think iFixit sell a kit as well.

I wimped out. There's many fragile ribbon cables to unplug to even get to the glued in battery which might explode if accidentally prodded wrong when removed ... I decided I'd let Apple do it and get some warranty into the bargain.

Last edited:
Commissario
I'd rather pay Apple an extra thirty quid and get a genuine Apple battery.
They use genuine Apple batteries. I had them show me my old one and the new one they use - identical.
Their website says they're an"alternative repair centre to Apple". That means they can't be using genuine Apple parts because only Apple and their authorised service centres have genuine parts. I could buy a battery from eBay for a fiver that looks identical to the one that Apple provide but it's not genuine.

ADT

ADT

Associate
For less than £10 for the kit on eBay etc it’s worth giving it a go. It’s so simple you can get a 5 year old to do it

Soldato
Their website says they're an"alternative repair centre to Apple". That means they can't be using genuine Apple parts because only Apple and their authorised service centres have genuine parts. I could buy a battery from eBay for a fiver that looks identical to the one that Apple provide but it's not genuine.
Well if you're happy to pay the Apple tax. But it isn't proof that they aren't getting genuine batteries just because of what you've stated. Genuine Apple parts are available from places that aren't Apple authorised.

Commissario
Well if you're happy to pay the Apple tax. But it isn't proof that they aren't getting genuine batteries just because of what you've stated. Genuine Apple parts are available from places that aren't Apple authorised.
That's not what I understand - We've had people post on here who are Apple employees (or ex-employees) stating that only Apple and their service providers have genuine Apple parts. I'd be very surprised if Apple supplied parts to any third party supplier as it's taking money out of their own hands. Apple are quite vocal about the fact that opening certain devices validates the warranty and I somewhat doubt they'd supply batteries to a non authorised service provider.

Soldato
That's not what I understand - We've had people post on here who are Apple employees (or ex-employees) stating that only Apple and their service providers have genuine Apple parts. I'd be very surprised if Apple supplied parts to any third party supplier as it's taking money out of their own hands. Apple are quite vocal about the fact that opening certain devices validates the warranty and I somewhat doubt they'd supply batteries to a non authorised service provider.
They're not supplied by Apple, they'd be grey market from the very same factories and be genuine in every way except not from a genuine or authorised supply chain.

Haven't you seen the YouTube short documentary on the guy who assembled his own iPhone from grey parts supplies?

Everything is available, even naked genuine PCBs.

Soldato
So much guff from people, it's unreal. You can buy OEM Apple batteries from quite a few places, and what's all this nonsense about warranty on a phone that is going to be 3-4 years old? Get a cheap one from eBay, or buy an iFixit kit for €24.99 (about £20), which includes the tools to do it.

Associate
So much guff from people, it's unreal. You can buy OEM Apple batteries from quite a few places, and what's all this nonsense about warranty on a phone that is going to be 3-4 years old? Get a cheap one from eBay, or buy an iFixit kit for €24.99 (about £20), which includes the tools to do it.

Exactly this. The iPhone 6 I had the battery replaced yesterday, is long out of warranty.

iSmash showed me the batteries and they were identical.

Soldato

Exactly this. The iPhone 6 I had the battery replaced yesterday, is long out of warranty.

iSmash showed me the batteries and they were identical.

Gotta pay the Apple tax!

Back
Top Bottom