Anyone shop at Aldi?

Associate
I'm waiting for them to stock "stink flipper" in the continental isle.
Oh and I usually park my Apache helicopter in the street and blow everyones car upside down with the down draft.

Soldato
I find their foods very hit and miss.

Their meat range is excellent with the exception of chicken. Their veg is half decent but I can't stand their fruit.

Cereals, breads, tinned, snacks are all top notch. Bought a packet of Pistachios the other day and they are nicer than ASDA/Sainsburys, but half the cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've tried Lidl and Aldi but end up going back to Sainsburys and Tesco. The selection in the cheaper shops is quite limited and is not always better value than the big 3. You'll get some items that are cracking value but others that are the same price as anywhere else.

Also you can never find anybody to ask where something is and the queues at the checkout are always horrendous due to the skeleton crew staffing. I also hate how they get moody if you stand at the edge of the till putting stuff in bags instead of hobbling over to the window hugging all your shopping and doing it there.

Soldato
Tried Aldi a couple of times. Wasn't impressed. Not a lot to buy, certainly nothing like the choice you get in a modern tesco or morrisons.

Never bothered going back. Perhaps it was just a poor store though? I have never been to a big Aldi - but then all of the ones I have seen in other places seem to be small outlets too.

Overall, I didnt have a problem with the goods I did buy, but I had a problem with the choice on offer, but also the shopping experience. Very basic store, poor design with aisles and product placement as well as stock levels and merchandising and till staff that had a right attitude problem.

Soldato
Aldi do "Specially Selected Cumberland Sausages" made from British Pork and contain something like 88% or 90% pork. They're only £2 for a pack and they taste delicious. They also do nice bread and a selection of other nice foods, so we find ourselves heading there to buy a lot of bulk. They're opening a Lidl very close and we find that Lidl usually fares better whenever comparing the two, so that is good.

I'm surprised by the Asda comments, our local Asda is alright, it is big and quite new though. It's also ok for bulk shops, as is our Tesco.

I do try and get most of our meat from local butchers though - it's so much better than supermarket stuff.

So in conclusion, we shop everywhere!!

Soldato
Been shopping at Aldi for over 2 years now - initially as a way to save more money by sacrificing quality. Turns out I didn't sacrifice much on quality and opened my eyes to a lot more continental produce.

Why oh why do I need a dozen different branded Mature Cheddar when one decent own brand can be had for a good price every day, along with a dozen of other variety of own brand cheeses? Cheese and cured meat is just a few example Aldi excelled in, along with their seasonal promotion down the middle aisle.

That said, it's not all song and praises just because Aldi sells them, they're not instantly the best for the money. Cereals a good example, had a couple of terrible ones.

Soldato
I find that own brand goods from many of the supermarkets can be great as mentioned above - a lot of the time they don't have tonnes of E numbers, MSG and the like added to them.

Back
Top Bottom