Anyone think the complexity is ruining games

Permabanned
OK ill throw in a few examples.

FPS:

lets take old COD and old BF games:

think of guns/classes...

old:.a few different versions to go, not much thought needed and major differences between classes/weapons obvious.

new: so many different guns, classes, perks, things to unlock..what about actually just playing the game? you have a game to play that is not even in the game. and this game is choosing what guns, mods, perks etc..you are going to play with and level up.....

I mean I used to just put on cod1 or bf1942 or bf vietnam, select my character play with mates and game on........now its like wtf so much crap going on, so many different tactics to chose etc...

Sure it can be said this is improvement but its not so pick up and playable.

Football games:

Ok lets go back to early PES games. These games were basic and real fun too play, even master league.

Now, new FIFA/PES we have so much more options in gameplay and game modes...skill shots, tricks, game options, special defending etc...

Some things are better but what if you just want plug n play..just put on a game and play....simple fun?

Maybe im just being lazy but it was sure simpler to pick up and play video games a few years back.

Permabanned
OP
Because the games he mentions are primarily console based? Then he should be complaining about it in the console games section. :p

i meant i had more fun with

cod4 and bf vietnam

but maybe its my memory playing up

Like I say I recall having lots of fun with goldeneye, but i played it not long ago and its terrible now

Permabanned
OP
I think the op means that content is being shoe horned in as a cheap hook to keep people playing and to disguise a lack of depth. I played RTCW/ET and CS for years and years - the gameplay and leanring curve alone were enough. With CoD and BC I found little reason to continue after unlocking everything - the gameplay alone wasn't enough and if anything was dumbed down compared to games 10+ years old.

yes I feel that games are being over cusotmsied...xtra options, extra perks,extra moves, extra animations, extra dlc, extra this extra that

BUT at expense of the core gameplay? Or just overwhelming for a pick up and play fun game.

How good was Desert combat BF, how good was COD1,2 MW1 to a point, how good was Counter strike, how good was bf:veintam. These games were as good as choose a server, chosse a class, play the game.

ALso,things liek destructible environment and excess foliage, excess scenery whilst in some respects improve the game in others they make it harder to see whats going on and take away from the shooter element somewhat.

THough it jsut depends I mean I like the new stuff but is also miss the pick up and play addictiveness off old games.

So many games have to learn excess things, like fifa add in special defensive moves, skills etc...u need to know 50 different combos to play a footy game when it used to just be pass and shoot.

its liek football manager pekaed back in 2000-2002 now they add in all these interveiws, press stuff, training, etc...etc...the game is not as good though it has advanced...well i kinda liek it now but it takes a while to get into an is much slower

Sure if you have the time I guess its great you can get really deep into games and stuff but if you just want no brainer fun its not so easy to find.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
if you miss the older simple games so much... why don't you go play them?

as you said about goldeneye - you'll find a lot of games you loved as a kid seem crap now (not that i'm saying i personally find goldeneye crap). this is just because everything seemed more awesome when you were young.

i don't think overcomplexity is ruining games, there is a "complexity spectrum" and there are games at both ends of it, as well as somewhere in the middle. take the recent total war games for example - you can miss out all the battles, and automanage the settlements and the game is very simple. or you can do every battle yourself, manage all your building etc and learn all the battle tactics.

it's not complexity - it's PLAYER CHOICE. there is a difference.

yep, old games:

1. the graphics suck

2. theres no players online

3. the +ves of progress in newer games means they are missed when playing old games

4. Memory sure was fonder back then

5. I was younger

I think games are progressing nicely. But I think they are just going OTT with a lot off games. I mean MW2 for me was a joke off a game. Whreas MW1 was nice balance of simple shooter plus extras.

Its like borderlands says it all they base there advert on the fact the game has 10000000000+ gusn or whatever....thats what they sell games on now.

Not this game has great story or playability but no this game has 47000 unlocks, 25 kill streaks, 3000 upgradable mods for your wepaons, 200 different weapons, plus 7 DLC packs within next 6 months at a cost of 10 pound per DLC, plus pre oredr for extra eclusive perks, special limted edition perk where you unlcok 45000 more perks than anyone else just buy pre oredering the special perk pre order perky derky smerky perk da perk limited gold edition, also comes with 73 bonus weapons with 45 unique exclusive mods, the game also fetaure 700045454 different online modes and 1000000338 unique ways you can play this game, we have specially designed pad you can use your feet, hands, ass or 3rd leg to play this game, inculding special 3d glasses so you feel like you are in the action comes with limited edition gold plated 3d glasses in special 3d pre order pack which can only be pre order 3 days before release...in gmae players with new created models have unique animation and can move in 720 degrees and 7 different planes, circular dynamic movements, including flying upside down quick jumps, auto fast reload, extreme sniper mode 200xxx, flying tiger shotgun scope modeled with RPG grenade explosive time detonated plasma attacks.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
well thats true so many developers are obsessed with physics, gfx, realism these days...so many tools at there disposle to make amazing worlds unlike back in the day.

Permabanned
OP
See I don't.

//rant

CS wouldn't have been made in today's market. Not because things have moved on and gamers are used to something better or more involved, but because it's not casual friendly - it's draw lays in investing time and working your way up the learning curve. The same was true of Quake, RTCW, and most of the best online pc fps. We don't get that these days. These days we get a playing field that's been levelled to stop a steep learning curve putting off your average gamer. It's now common for movement to be slow and for it to just take a few bullets to kill, making it nice and easy to track and kill targets. Ironsights, which slow the game down even more and which are far less precise than a regular dot crosshair, add to the randomness and level the playing field further. Add a few perks and things to unlock to give a sense of progression and an incentive to play (all while hiding the shallowness of the core gameplay) and job done. All of this is fine btw, except I love pc fps and have nothing to play. I've had nothing new to play since TF2 was released 4 years ago. There's nothing on the horizon either :mad:

a lot of that is true I meant gmaes are progressing well in many ways, gfx, phyiscs, etc...but perhaps core gameplay is as a result being neglected.

its like who sells more t-shirts C.Ronaldo or Frank ribery? Off course C.ronaldo but is he that much better than Ribery (well I guess he is quite abit lol) but my poin tis what sells is what looks good not just what is good.

Permabanned
OP
I don't want to derail the thread(if that is possible) but i just want to say that whilst i do know what you mean, David Beckham was still a great player as well, he is ripe for ridicule in a way and rightly so to some extent but it shouldn't detract from his ability and workrate which was excellent, he genuinely was one of the best players in the world on his day imo:)

/offtopic

i am not saying he wasnt but IMO rivaldo is a much better player on his day. Yet beckham was 100x more famous.

Off course you could say Messi vs Ronaldo? who is better? who is more famous?

Back
Top Bottom