• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone tried liquid metal on their air cooled GPU?

Soldato
I had a little search on this, but the results are inconclusive. Most of the people that did this and made a video, did it on a Nvidia card with GPU boost 3.0 and stock fan curve. The problem with that is the fan speed will change if the temps are different, as well as the clock speed and voltage increasing if the temps decreased. Anyone know of a video where they test liquid metal on a GPU and set a manual fan speed and level out the voltage curve? Either way, I'd be curious to know if anyone here has tried it and how they got on.

I put it on my MSI Gaming X 1080Ti before i sold it to a friend. Dropped several degrees over the stock paste (which is supposed to be quite good) at the same fan speeds, clocks, and settings.

Easy to apply, i just taped off the caps near the die in case the card ever needs to come apart to make cleaning easier and to prevent a short.

Also have it on my watercooled FTW3.

Very accurate of what to expect with a card with a good custom cooler.

You say you taped the caps around the gpu. Is that the little ones inside the metal square? And it sounds like you left it on with the heatsink? Is that ok?

I'm considering doing this myself.

You say you taped the caps around the gpu. Is that the little ones inside the metal square? And it sounds like you left it on with the heatsink? Is that ok?

I'm considering doing this myself.

Yes just some kapton tape around the caps next to the gpu die. Inside the metal square.

Yes it's fine to leave and use on any heatsink as it is high temp tape and extremely thin so does not cause any contact issues.

Just remember that the heatsink/baseplate does not contain aluminium as it will react badly with aluminium and literally eat it away.

MSI is nickel plated copper as are most heatsink nowadays.

If you do go for it use, conductonaut as it's currently the best (easiest to apply).

Laptop users like myself have tape around the core from the factory anyway to ensure no shorting (they don't have the metal surround).

Some users are using a soft foam to act as a barrier around the core to prevent leakage also.

Yes just some kapton tape around the caps next to the gpu die. Inside the metal square.

Yes it's fine to leave and use on any heatsink as it is high temp tape and extremely thin so does not cause any contact issues.

Just remember that the heatsink/baseplate does not contain aluminium as it will react badly with aluminium and literally eat it away.

MSI is nickel plated copper as are most heatsink nowadays.

If you do go for it use, conductonaut as it's currently the best (easiest to apply).

Good idea with the kapton tape, you can pick up a 5mm roll on ebay for £2. Does anyone know Gigabyte's stance on cooler removal?

Good idea with the kapton tape, you can pick up a 5mm roll on ebay for £2. Does anyone know Gigabyte's stance on cooler removal?

think theres a few rep posts , would take some searching but allow cooler removal and they dont put annoying stickers or paint on screws. just dont mess it up. If you have to VRM , remove the liquid paste before sending it back! on any card for that matter haha

if used Grizzlies non metal pastes and bought down my Aorus air cooled cards by 5-7c
10c when i had Gigabyte gtx 1080 blower card

so there is a thread in overclocking section about cpu delid and some liquid metal TIM. one guys suggests using clear nail polish. would it be ok to use that on the caps inside the metal square? it "sounds" safer than tape to me.

so there is a thread in overclocking section about cpu delid and some liquid metal TIM. one guys suggests using clear nail polish. would it be ok to use that on the caps inside the metal square? it "sounds" safer than tape to me.

It's definitely not safer than Kapton tape. We have no idea how nail varnish responds over time to constant heating and cooling, I'd imagine it would crack. Kapton tape on other hand is designed to insulate electrical components, it's rated for heat up to 280c.

Back
Top Bottom