Anyone using or have opinions on Untangle?

Associate
Currently trying this out(14 day free trial), one year licence £35($50) - for basic version. Very easy to use compared to pfsense/OPNSense.

Nice dashboard, very, very easy to set up VPNs and route different LAN host's traffic to different VPNS. Setting up a VPN is as simple as uploading your VPN provider's OPVN config, routing host's traffic as easy as adding two matching "tags" to the VPN and the host e.g. "tunnel1".

You can also log into the Untangle website and get a remote desktop of your Untangle home router. May become my main router(over my MikroTiks because it's so simple to use for what I need it to achieve).

Man of Honour
I'm been very tempted to replace my USG Pro with an Untangle appliance. I don't like how difficult UniFi make it to do more advanced things such as VPNs, BGP etc.

Associate
OP
Mine's running on an old 4GB(min mem in my opinion), i5-2500K CPU ...

Example of setting up an OpenVPN client and sending all or some of the LAN traffic over it -

Soldato
Yep. It’s a very good system. I install it professionally on various devices but something like a Supermicro SYS-5019L, Supermicro AS-5019D (with the EPYC CPU), Supermicro SYS-5018D, QNAP QGD-1600P or QGD-1602P and it runs really well on pretty much anything.

Soldato
The basic version is free, the Home version is £36/yr and Home Plus is £108/yr. I currently run UT on an ex-contract Datto box (think NUC OEM’d by Zotac), nothing flashy, i3 7100u/16GB/120GB, dual Realtek NIC’s, it barely breaks a sweat and sips power.

I wouldn’t describe *sense as particularly difficult to use or set-up, the documentation is generally pretty good on pf, and Opn is getting better all the time, but the UI can expose you to all sorts of obscure usage options as it’s very much geared to catering fir almost any scenario. The easiest way to describe how UT compares to *sense is to think of Untangle as a L7 device with L3 functions bolted on, where as *sense is an L3 device with the ability to bolt L7 features on. Can you achieve a similar level of functionality with *sense or Sophos XG for free? Yes, absolutely, but I have no personal objection to paying a modest amount each year if it saves me time. I value my own time as being worth more than 10p/day. I have a slightly different take on the £108/yr Home Plus tier, but that’s just because I personally don’t feel it offers significantly more useful functionality for a home user to justify the cost, that said I am probably not the target market here.

One thing I would suggest checking if you use the VPN functionality is doing a DNS leak test, the UT team have been quite specific about how it should handle DNS and it functions as intended, but that may not be how you would expect.

Soldato
I'm 2 days in to my Untangle Trial, running it in a VM. I don't think I'll be going back to PfSense tbh. Untangle & PiHole just work so much better imho. Think I'll be shelling out for the Home Protect Plus licence at the end of the month. :)

Soldato
If you’re using Untangle, pinhole is relatively pointless from a functionality POV, it’s been discussed previously on the Untangle forums.

Soldato
If you’re using Untangle, pinhole is relatively pointless from a functionality POV, it’s been discussed previously on the Untangle forums.

Mmm, not really. PiHole is DNS-based blocking, which is generally a faster and more reliable method of ad-blocking than the session based Web Filter included with Untangle. PiHole can also be modified to provide DoH, DoT or DNS Resolving which is not a feature available on Untangle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been using Untangle and Sophos XG over the last 12 months or so, I like them both. Back on Sophos XG atm as I prefer the rule methods Vs Untangle. I think XG 18 MR5 has come along and wondering what 18.5 will offer

Running on a Pondesk recently until a NIC issue caused me to RMA the unit and their after service has been *****.

Running on a Dell PowerEdge R210 at mo with a Xeon CPU with a 25W TDP rating

Back
Top Bottom