Anyone using Python+Pandas to replace Excel?

Associate
Hi everyone. I've started exploring Pandas and so far am impressed. I was wondering if anyone has been able to largely replace using a spreadsheet like Excel with Pandas?

Hi everybody. Sorry I haven't been around to respond to your replies (everyone a great answer by the way!).

I think @peterwalkley and @Mesai identified a key attraction of Excel is it's interactivity, which to my mind is both a strength and a weakness. Initially anyone could open up an Excel spreadsheet for the first time and start usinging it productively in minutes. However, this could also lead to sloppiness with, for example, text being put into numeric fields. Where as with Python + Pandas there is a very clear separation between code and data.

Hi gpuerrilla,

I had been drawn into them yes and was impressed how useful it is for example dumping info into a postgresql database.

Are you saying you're impressed with Pandas or Excel? I've been using Excel a longtime and think it's fantastic, however, even though I'm only starting to use Pandas I can see how it could be useful far beyond the scope of Excel.

As Mesai said though the ease and interaction of datasets in Excel generally is used but can totally see it for specific tasks how that could be the better workflow.

I'm thinking that Pandas could be better for my workflow, but for another person the reverse could very well be true.

[QUOTE="gpuerrilla, post: 35273813, member: 39819"
Regarding excel, I am still baffled why even experienced users that do not use the Power Query/Pivot continue with formula and macros, but maybe they stick to what they know.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about seriously about using Power Query. I'm slightly nervous about MS changing licensing; I did some work in Flow/Power Autimate then some of the components went from free with the Office 365 licence to a different Tier that would have cost a lot more money and I didn't feel I could make a business case for.

The Pandas route promises to be very powerful and flexible; I'm looking forward to what I read is SQL-like functionality and much more.

Back
Top Bottom