anyone using virgin hub and google wifi?

Associate
I tried doing this yesterday (Hub 3.0 in Modem mode) connected to Google WiFi, but I could not get any internet signal through to the Google WiFi. The only time I had an internet signal was when the Hub 3.0 was still in router mode. Any ideas of what could be wrong?

The other issue I had, was that I could not get the Hub 3.0 out of Modem only mode - laptop hardwired to Hub 3.0 still had no internet, and the address given to access the Hub 3.0 setup screen just would not work. Had to call Virgin Media support to resolve that, who also confirmed that the settings on my Hub all look OK from their end.

Soldato
What steps did you take? If you were offered multiple options at any point which ones did you select?

What ports were connected to each other?

How was the Google WiFi configured when the setup was complete?

Associate
Initially, I connected the Google WiFi as outlined in the instructions via the app and thought this is a piece of p*** to set-up...... As I said, everything seemed to be working OK until I attempted to put the Hub 3.0 into Modem only mode. From my understanding, with the Hub 3.0 it does not matter which port you plug the external router into, but for your information, I had it plugged into the top port (furthest away from the co-axial cable).

When I put the Hub into Modem only mode, everything seemed OK, in so far as the Hub rebooted and eventually the only light that was on was the solid magenta light. At this point the Google WiFi was showing no internet connection. I tried plugging the Google WiFi into other ports on the Hub 3.0 (rebooting each time) but still no internet. When I gave up and tried to revert back to when it was working, I was unable to connect to the Hub 3.0 setup page to take it out of Modem only mode. Even attempting a pin rest failed. Had to call the "help desk" who did something at their end to reboot the Hub 3.0 back into router mode.

I will try again when I get time over the next day or so, and document the steps I took and selections made - so hopefully if it still does not work, you (or somebody else) maybe able to offer a solution.

Soldato
You'll need to put the Hub into modem mode and then connect and configure the Google WiFi.

The settings the Google WiFi will choose with the Hub in router mode will not work with the Hub in modem mode.

Associate
You'll need to put the Hub into modem mode and then connect and configure the Google WiFi.

The settings the Google WiFi will choose with the Hub in router mode will not work with the Hub in modem mode.
OK, thanks. I will try that. Am I correct in my thinking that it does not matter which port I plug the Google WiFi into the Hub 3.0?

Soldato
OP
Double pack spotted on hukd?

I paid £180 for double pack. It's been great.i have around 20 wireless devices and the virgin box was overloaded and signal dropped off upstairs for switch and Google home stuff.

The twin pack has been amazing the app management is great even when you are out you can access and control it.

My only issue is it has just one network port and because you need the virgin box in modem mode you can't use them. So had to add a small 4 port hub into Google WiFi and then connect my wired stuff in that. No bother just had to do a bit of wire tidy :)

Associate
I've got the linksys velop and they also have very few ethernet ports; 2 on each unit.
I suppose the manufacturers assume that anyone using a mesh will be mainly using wireless to connect to it.

Soldato
Google wifi, or any mesh system, will give you a considerable boost in WiFi coverage area compared to the Virgin Hub. That's true against any AIO router though, not just Virgin.

Back
Top Bottom