Anyone using Wegovy?

Soldato
A friend of mine mentioned about going onto this recently... He decided not to in the end but when he first mentioned it to me I thought it was a colossally stupid idea.

I don't quite understand why people try to overcomplicate weight loss. Eat Less, especially eat less crap, drink more water and exercise more. I get it, in the world we are at the moment everyone wants to do things quick and easy but I just feel like these things replace the discipline you would've gained from sticking to a structure and just cheat your way there but what happens when you stop taking it?

I have another friend who just consistently does these extreme Yo-Yo diets. They're not sustainable for the long term and she never does exercise with them just hoping the diet alone will do all the work. Then a few weeks later she'll 'relapse' and go back to the same bad habits.

At some point you need to take accountability for yourself and stop relying on these quick fixes.

Just my opinion, anyway. If people want to take it and it makes them feel good in themselves, more power to them.

Associate
I don't quite understand why people try to overcomplicate weight loss. Eat Less, especially eat less crap, drink more water and exercise more.

I have another friend who just consistently does these extreme Yo-Yo diets.
The existence yo-yo effect shows it's beyond personal choice. Many people make the decision to eat less, most eventually fail and regain.
The fact that GLP1 analogs like Wegowy work should tell you its about hormonal balance. Something that is way more powerful than your willpower

I 100% agree with one thing that will help, eat less crap. Remains to be finalised just how much crap is around us and how normalised its consumption is.

Last edited:
Soldato
The existence yo-yo effect shows it's beyond personal choice. Many people make the decision to eat less, most eventually fail and regain.
The fact that GLP1 analogs like Wegowy work should tell you its about hormonal balance. Something that is way more powerful than your willpower

I 100% agree with one thing that will help, eat less crap. Remains to be finalised just how much crap is around us and how normalised its consumption is.

For me, it just comes down to how bad you want something. If you truly, in your heart of hearts, want to achieve something, you'll go above and beyond to achieve that goal. You'll make the necessary cuts or additions to your life to get there. That isn't just for weight loss but life itself. You only get better by striving to be better.

That's how I see it anyway. Nothing beats hard work and discipline. Look what this guy achieved when he put his mind to it.

Caporegime
They are for me Raymond but I'm a bad diabetic.
Carbs are my killer.
If you go on Diabetics UK you will see their diet sheets are low carb.

Well, if I need to put a caveat on everything I will be here forever!

Like I am sure there are people who has medical condition that says fats are bad for them. My gf has an allergy to seafood, so if I had said I eat lots of fish for protein...she will say "well, I would be dead".

You know...all these things, for a person who isn't restricted by some medical condition.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They are for me Raymond but I'm a bad diabetic.
Carbs are my killer.
If you go on Diabetics UK you will see their diet sheets are low carb.

It's pretty clear that no one is advocating that people with severe diabetes should eat high carbohydrate foods on a regular basis. They'll be given that advice when they're diagnosed.

The discussion is about diets in general for weight loss, not what diabetics should do. It's like saying diets that include dairy products are bad because some people are lactose intolerant.

Soldato
Just eat less and exercise more is too trite to be useful. Most people can probably force themselves to restrict food for a while or exercise more..... but it'll never work long term.

You need to permanently change your lifestyle to achieve and maintain a healthier weight. So the exercise is something you look forward to, and the food/booze that wrecks your weight loss isn't appealing any more. Do that, so it's not a chore, you're not denying yourself anything, then you'll succeed.

Soldato

That's what I like about low carb Vs low calorie. First of all animal fat is really important for good hormone balance, secondly I don't feel hungry in the same way I did on carbs, if I don't want to eat I simply don't eat and even when I do get "hungry" it isn't the overriding distraction that it was when I ate a lot of carbs.

Ghrelin and leptin are the hunger and satiety hormones, again there are studies showing the benefits to these levels when doing low carb (fat increases satiety and not having glucose dips from excess insulin also decreases hunger). Controlling your hormones sets you up far better for long term success than just trying to brute force your way through with "willpower".

You only have to look at the stats on people who regain weight after doing calorie restriction to know that it fundamentally doesn't work for most people.

Soldato
Just eat less and exercise more is too trite to be useful. Most people can probably force themselves to restrict food for a while or exercise more..... but it'll never work long term.

You need to permanently change your lifestyle to achieve and maintain a healthier weight. So the exercise is something you look forward to, and the food/booze that wrecks your weight loss isn't appealing any more. Do that, so it's not a chore, you're not denying yourself anything, then you'll succeed.

Yep, it's only since going low carb that I've achieved this. Going zero carb carb has also resolved a whole load of other health issues for me as well (arthritis in my hand, shoulder injury that flared up every time I tried to lift weights etc.) so I actually want to do exercise, my energy levels are massively improved, my testosterone has tripled. I tired calorie restriction, Mediterranean diet, dash diet, plant based and none of these had these effects and so I really struggled to do exercise so saw no improvement.

When I do have a carb heavy meals now my shoulder and right hand start to ache basically straight away and I feel like I have a hangover the next day (compared with how I normally feel now). And alcohol has become a complete non starter. I don't miss it at all and I love being able to eat the food I do eat and eat it until I feel full rather than restricting the amount and feeling hungry again 30 minutes later but knowing I'm "not allowed" more food.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I personally find a low carb diet unsustainable because much of what my diet growing up has carbs. Rice with every meal, noodles, dumplings (has wrapper). Whilst I don’t eat much bread in the form of sandwiches (I can’t remember the last time I bought a loaf of bread), I like pizza and also burgers.

So imagine going out with friends and sticking with low carb, I would have to be more careful with what I eat, I have a friend who does that, she would ask for a burger with no bun. Whereas just on low calorie, I just get a smaller pizza, or just eat the burger and 1/3rd of the chips instead of finishing it all.

Low calorie, I can eat everything I want. If I am hungry between meals, I will go eat a carrot or something, I like carrots. I get to enjoy everything I like, in moderation. Which is what it is all about and how it should be.

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally find a low carb diet unsustainable because much of what my diet growing up has carbs. Rice with every meal, noodles, dumplings (has wrapper). Whilst I don’t eat much bread in the form of sandwiches (I can’t remember the last time I bought a loaf of bread), I like pizza and also burgers.

So imagine going out with friends and sticking with low carb, I would have to be more careful with what I eat. Whereas just low calorie, I just get a smaller pizza, or just eat the burger and 1/3rd of the chips instead of finishing it all.

Low calorie, I can eat everything. If I am hungry, I will go eat a carrot, I like carrots. I get to enjoy everything, in moderation. Which is what it is all about and how it should be.

I eat burgers almost every day, no bun
I eat pizza about once a week, I make the base from chicken mince

Yes I always used to eat bread, potatoes, pasta, rice with every meal, but what I've realised is that the meat is actually the main thing that makes a meal enjoyable. What is the flavour of plain potato or pasta? Nothing, you need to put other things on it so why bother, it's empty calories.

What is the best part of a burger? The bun or the meat?

I go out for meals and have something like a mixed grill or meat thali, I can have a few chips if I really feel like it.

Yes it's a little restrictive but I absolutely love the food I can eat, and the upside is I literally NEVER feel hungry or deprived.

For me hunger was always overridden any attempt at moderation, I was literally addicted to sugar (all carbs are converted to glucose in your blood). So any carbs cause an insulin spikes, which leads to a dip in blood glucose which causes hunger. I did not have the willpower to override hormones - a simple examination of the stats on weight/obesity/dieting show that this is the same experience for most people.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I eat burgers almost every day, no bun
I eat pizza about once a week, I make the base from chicken mince

What is the best part of a burger? The bun or the meat?

I go out for meals and have something like a mixed grill or meat thali, I can have a few chips if I really feel like it.

Yes it's a little restrictive but I absolutely love the food I can eat, and the upside is I literally NEVER feel hungry or deprived.

For me hunger was always overridden any attempt at moderation, I was literally addicted to sugar (all carbs are converted to glucose in your blood). So any carbs cause an insulin spikes, which leads to a dip in blood glucose which causes hunger. I did not have the willpower to override hormones - a simple examination of the stats on weight/obesity/dieting show that this is the same experience for most people.

The best part of a burger is the balance between the ratio of meat and bread. It is the whole thing, texture contrast from the bread, holding it in the hand, perhaps some crunch from lettuce, the gooeyness or funk from the cheese, the acids from pickles and the taste of the meat (with the right ratio of fat).

As for pizza, the dough is the star, which is why people spend some much money on the ovens, to get to the right temperature, the "tiger spots" at the bottom.

I can eat all that, all the best part of all the dishes that I love, the way they are served, or "meant" to be served.

Last edited:
Soldato
The best part of a burger is the balance between the ratio of meat and bread. It is the whole thing, texture contrast from the bread, holding it in the hand, perhaps some crunch from lettuce, the gooeyness or funk from the cheese, the acids from pickles and the taste of the meat (with the right ratio of fat).

As for pizza, the dough is the star, which is why people spend some much money on the ovens, to get to the right temperature, the "tiger spots" at the bottom.

I can eat all that, all the best part of all the dishes that I love, the way they are served, or "meant" to be served.
As I said, if you can do that and deal with the hunger then I have great respect for that. However, why are you having to restrict calories in the first place? As I also said the stats on calorie restriction don't work. And studies do show that people lose more weight on low carb when calorie matched (easily explainable without breaking any laws of thermodynamics).

You could even combine both, do days of low carb generally for the lack of hunger benefits and then have cheat days/meals.

For me the downsides of cheat meals just make it not worth it as I can have the flavours of most of my favourite meals without any downsides, so it's become increasingly rare.

I do have pickles and onion on my burgers, I don't do lettuce because I don't like lettuce anyway and the bread to me is just a nothing.

There's also a laundry list of health benefits for me in not eating carbs, so staying low calorie but carbs was simply not na option.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As I said, if you can do that and deal with the hunger then I have great respect for that. However, why are you having to restrict calories in the first place? As I also said the stats on calorie restriction don't work. And studies do show that people lose more weight on low carb when calorie matched (easily explainable without breaking any laws of thermodynamics).

You could even combine both, do days of low carb generally for the lack of hunger benefits and then have cheat days/meals.

For me the downsides of cheat meals just make it not worth it as I can have the flavours of most of my favourite meals without any downsides, so it's become increasingly rare.

Yes, I can deal with all that. The reason I am having to lower my calories is because slowly, I start eating too much of the same thing. The weight didn't shot up in 6 months after I got it down to like 11st from 15st. It took like 10 years to put it back on.

Soldato
Yes, I can deal with all that. The reason I am having to lower my calories is because slowly, I start eating too much of the same thing. The weight didn't shot up in 6 months after I got it down to like 11st from 15st. It took like 10 years to put it back on.
Yeah, I did calorie restriction in my mid twenties, it took me until about age 40 to realise I was back up to what I must have been the first time but in that time I also acquired a laundry list of "age related" problems - I tried calorie restriction again along with a bunch of doctors recommendations of various diets to try and none of them affected my blood pressure at all until this one.

I wasn't even really that bothered about my weight or looks, it was my blood pressure and headaches that really concerned me and so calorie restriction did nothing for that. Even low carb didn't affect it that much, it has only been going zero carb that's dropped it and it did it within 3 months which was amazing to me.

The way that you're talking about not being able to give up carbs sounds to me like sugar addiction. Since giving up carbs, something like a doughnut or cake has so much sugar in it that even 1 bite makes me feel nauseous now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, I did calorie restriction in my mid twenties, it took me until about age 40 to realise I was back up to what I must have been the first time but in that time I also acquired a laundry list of "age related" problems - I tried calorie restriction again along with a bunch of doctors recommendations of various diets to try and none of them affected my blood pressure at all until this one.

I wasn't even really that bothered about my weight or looks, it was my blood pressure and headaches that really concerned me and so calorie restriction did nothing for that. Even low carb didn't affect it that much, it has only been going zero carb that's dropped it and it did it within 3 months which was amazing to me.

The way that you're talking about not being able to give up carbs sounds to me like sugar addiction. Since giving up carbs, something like a doughnut or cake has so much sugar in it that even 1 bite makes me feel nauseous now.

It's not sugar addiction because I actually dislike cake, rarely buy donuts and not had an ice cream for months. I can go weeks without chocolate too. On other weekend I drink coffee without sugar but at work, the coffee are not as good so I put 1/2 to 1 sugar in it.

I just like good food and a lot of good food that I like, has carbs - Ramen, pizza, kebab (pitta bread and all). Plus, if you ask any Chinese person, a meal is not a meal without rice. :D And a bowl of ramen can easily have 1,000 calories, that I just 1 meal. Imagine in Japan, I can easily eat 3 meals of similar calories, and I am not going to skim out on good sushi, their curry bun is amazing too, which is probably at least 400 calories and down in 3 bites.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sugar addiction is hardwired into a lot of people if they were given sugary drinks and sweets as a kid, it's hard to break those neural pathways that were laid down while your brain was forming.

I'm fortunate my parents instilled a decent diet in me and I've never had the craving for sugar some people have, and subsequently never had a weight issue. Most cakes and stuff make me feel ill just the sweetness of them, it's rank.

Soldato
Sugar addiction is hardwired into a lot of people if they were given sugary drinks and sweets as a kid, it's hard to break those neural pathways that were laid down while your brain was forming.

I'm fortunate my parents instilled a decent diet in me and I've never had the craving for sugar some people have, and subsequently never had a weight issue. Most cakes and stuff make me feel ill just the sweetness of them, it's rank.
When I was very little my parents tell stories of I would go and put a chocolate bar in the fridge and grab a carrot, so for me it was something that developed later, I remember getting fat as a teen and that was mainly down to ready meals, and as an adult it was living off takeaways.

The problem is they put sugar in everything now unless you cook everything fresh. Literally because they know it's addictive.

Last edited:
Soldato

He is not addicted to carbs, he is addicted to winning an argument at the expense of his own health.

Could be worse though, could be vegan. (in terms of health)

Back
Top Bottom