Anyone with a CPAP machine go camping?

Soldato
The mrs wants to go to a lovely site, that doesn’t have any EHU points. It’ll only be for a night or two.

I’ve got a Philips resperonics with a full face mask, the power supply is rated for 80w @ 12v I believe.

Anyone know / use a reliable solution for providing power for a couple of nights?

Philips do a power pack, but it’s £300 minimum and hard to find!

Associate
I have the same machine and I have a lighter lead from a battery charger that I was planning to use. 80W is 6A at 12V but I suspect it isn't using anything like that.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this.

Soldato
OP
Will you die without it?

Yes > Dont go camping

No > MTFU

Useful and knowledgeable post mate, thanks for your contribution.

So I’ve done some research and called a couple of companies.

Tracer do suitable lithium polymer batteries that are small in size. I’ve linked cheapest sites below to help others out. The 8Ah battery is permitted on planes so great for overnight flights too.

1 to 2 night battery 8Ah - £116.66
https://www.tracerpower.com/12v-4ah...MIiZfKxP7I2gIVA58bCh1fmw9SEAQYASABEgJDi_D_BwE

2 to 3 night 14ah - £210
https://www.tracerpower.com/12v-14ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack.html

3 to 5 night 22ah £269.99
https://www.eu-pap.co.uk/tracer-12v-ultra-cpap-battery-pack.html

Cable for Philips DreamStation (cable#3?) £34.99
https://www.eu-pap.co.uk/respironics-12v-dc-cables.html

Fast chargers £39.99
https://www.eu-pap.co.uk/tracer-cpap-battery-chargers.html

Not the cheapest, but this seems like the best setup. You can charge the battery in the car or at home, the quick charger reduces mains charging by a few hours.

The battery connects to a 12v lighter adapter, which connects to the Philips cable, which connects to the cpap machines 12v input. No inverter or original cable required. You can also connect anything like phone chargers via the lighter adapter.

There are a lot of adapter cables available, so I’d you have a different machine they probably do an appropriate cable.

Caporegime
I’ve got a CPAP machine (same Phillips model) and when I went camping I ran it via a long 12V adapter lead from my car without issue, when I’m away in the truck it runs off the mains adapter via an inverter indeed the same when we go away in the caravan.

For the uninitiated, CPAP machines control sleep apnoea, untreated you basically stop breathing in your sleep (in my case for up to 45 seconds up to 50 times per hour!) this puts huge strain in your heart so much so I had two heart attacks back in 2013 due to this then being undiagnosed, my consultant told me in no uncertain terms that a third would have killed me!

The OP is right to research this and take it with him “MTFU” has nothing to do with it.

Caporegime
I wonder how they powered these during the war?
I’m assuming your being a pillock but fwiw this treatment (via CPAP machines) didn’t come into being until the early 1980’s, prior to that it was an unknown contributor to death from heart attack, heart failure, stroke etc and especially vehicle collisions as undiagnosed your constantly tired and tend to fall asleep especially behind the wheel (as I have in the past.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

Soldato
For the uninitiated, CPAP machines control sleep apnoea, untreated you basically stop breathing in your sleep (in my case for up to 45 seconds up to 50 times per hour!) this puts huge strain in your heart so much so I had two heart attacks back in 2013 due to this then being undiagnosed, my consultant told me in no uncertain terms that a third would have killed me!

Had no idea what those devices were called. I'm actually just watching Sopranos and someone has been issued one of those. Never knew how serious it was!

Soldato
OP
Had no idea what those devices were called. I'm actually just watching Sopranos and someone has been issued one of those. Never knew how serious it was!

Continuous positive air pressure.

Yep it can be incredibly serious, especially if you have other illnesses. Had a very positive impact on my life when I was diagnosed! Even one night without it leaves me utterly exhausted and unable to enjoy the day.

Delighted I’ve found a solution.

My initial guess was spot on about you just being a pillock!

Unfortunately I’m noticing this far more on these forums. I try my best to ignore it, but I am not a perfect person :)

Soldato
I'm guessing you have sleep apnea op

Could I bother you with couple questions since you are here? are you older / overweight / snore? what were signs / symptoms.

Reason is i'm debating seeing GP for same thing, I get terrible sleep.

Soldato
Continuous positive air pressure.

Yep it can be incredibly serious, especially if you have other illnesses. Had a very positive impact on my life when I was diagnosed! Even one night without it leaves me utterly exhausted and unable to enjoy the day.

Delighted I’ve found a solution.

That sounds both horrendous to live with and utterly terrifying to experience. Glad you've found something to make it easier on yourself!

Will you always be reliant on that device or is it something that goes away? Sorry for the invasive questions I just find it interesting.

Associate

Could I bother you with couple questions since you are here? are you older / overweight / snore? what were signs / symptoms.

My symptoms were not being able to stay awake at work, constantly feeling tired and falling asleep in evenings. I wasn’t hugely overweight just came on suddenly. Get a sleep study if anything sounds familiar.

Caporegime

I was 42 when diagnosed, 18Stone (6’ 4” not particularly overweight tbh) main symptom was loud snoring and my then wife noticed I was stopping breathing in my sleep.

Your tired but not aware that your body constantly wakes you (to restart the breathing) at night, you think you’ve had restful sleep when in fact you’ve had anything but.

As I said earlier, caused me to have two heart attacks at 42, get yourself referred for a sleep study.

Soldato
I use a BiPaP machine, similar to CPAP.

I used to have a small one that I was able to take to the US and it auto adapted to their power voltage. I went camping with the people I was staying with and ran the BiPaP off the battery that powered the camper van. It was also a heavy storm at the time. I was living on the edge lol

Soldato
Interested in this too as this is one of the reasons I've stopped going to festivals :( I can get an official battery pack (Resmed S9) but it's something daft like £700! :eek:

@CREATIVE!11 I got suggested for testing by one of the GP's at my clinic due to swelling in my legs. Was always super tired (could barely stay up for 12 hours in a day!), additionally had very loud snoring and a fellow forum member noticed me pretty much stopping breathing in my sleep at a LAN one time!

Go see your GP and tell them you're tired and have concerns about sleep apnoea and they'll run you through the epworth sleepiness scale test and refer you from there :)

Soldato
OP

Yes mate I do. I’m 33, I’m not overweight (though this can definitely contribute), I snore heavily.

I get sleep paralysis and night terrors. My sleep paralysis was horrendous, 10 times in a row sometimes. I have chronic fatigue but I was absolutely shattered, I woke up feeling like I hadn’t slept at all, groggy and confused in the mornings, always nearly falling asleep at the wheel. I woke up gasping for breath and often stopped breathing for long periods (I wasn’t aware of this, mrs noticed).

Go to your doctors if you’re concerned, they fitted me with a night monitor and diagnosed it pretty quick. Modern machines are small, attractive and even connect to your phone reporting on the quality of your sleep. I wear a full face mask, I don’t notice it anymore.

If you have it and you get a cpap, the difference to your life will be incredible.

Interested in this too as this is one of the reasons I've stopped going to festivals :( I can get an official battery pack (Resmed S9) but it's something daft like £700! :eek:

Have you seen my links, you could have a 1 to 2 night setup for less than £150. You’d need to call up eu-pap and have them recommend the right adapter.

Soldato
OP
That sounds both horrendous to live with and utterly terrifying to experience. Glad you've found something to make it easier on yourself!

Will you always be reliant on that device or is it something that goes away? Sorry for the invasive questions I just find it interesting.

It is mate, especially with my sleep paralysis as I feel like I’m suffocating to death. Machine has pretty much fixed everything.

Not bothered at all by the questions. For some people it resolves over time, especially if you’re overweight and lose it. Most people use them for life I believe, I likely will due to other illnesses.

I’m not really bothered, it’s just another gadget I have to pack and bring with me. The only issue is if you’re going a long time without acces to power, like long haul flights or camping.

Back
Top Bottom