Anyone with a Dell Inspiron 630m

Soldato
Need a laptop and decided to purchase one of these. Managed to get Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz (2MB, 533MHz), 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, XP MCE plus the usual stuff for £470.

Not using it for gaming but for pretty much everything else.

Anybody on the forums have one? Whats it like? Positives/negatives?

Associate
i got one of the inspiron 1300s the other day for £300
celeron m 1.5
256mb ram
dvdrw
40 gig hard drive
wifi card
an extra 512mb stick of ram can be picked up elsewhere for £25

was suprised to see that it is quicker than my old athlon xp 2600 desktop
its more than adequate for anything nongamers will throw at it

the widescreen is nice
its 14" gives approx the same size picture as a 17" crt when watching movies/tvshows that are widescreen as the black bars at the top and bottom of the crt are not displayed

i looked at the 630 but you dont really gain much for the extra £200
i dont game but i doubt the 630 is any good for that

by the way you worded it i cant tell if youve actually ordered yet
or have decided that you are going to order sonn
if the latter id suggest thoroughly comparing with the 1300 and seeing what the real gains for the extra money are

at the same time its still a very good deal for sub £500 compared to whats available from companies other than dell

Soldato
OP
This laptop will not be used for gaming so I'm not bothered about the itegrated graphics.

I was tempted to purchase the Inspiron 1300 with 512MB and upgraded 6 Cell battery for £411 (90 days warranty though).

I personally thought the slightly smaller size, faster CPU, Windows XP MCE and 1 year warranty was worth the extra £59.

Already purchased it and should be here soon.

Associate
I was thinking of getting a 630m with 9 Cell battery. I have a PC for gaming, its for all those other times when you don't want to be stuck beside the main PC and when you need a PC away from home. Work & college stuff etc. Seems to a good compromise between price and long battery life. I currently have a Sony Vaio Desktop replacement P4, but with a Fx5600 its no good for games and the battery life is about 10mins. I love the Sony's screen and keyboard, but a Sony equivilent to the 630m is about 3 times the price.

Soldato
OP
Was tempted by the 9 Cell battery but it apparantly sticks out from underneath the laptop due to its size by an additional half or so inch , unlike the 6 Cell version. Also adds to weight.

You can apparantly get just over 4 hours of life from the 6 cell battery, which is more than enough for me.

9 Cell can get around 7 hours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom