Anyone worked in The Shard?

Consigliere
Just curious really. Whats based there? Obviously its an office so I am sure its the same as any other place of work...or maybe not? Any interesting 'work stories'? :p

Guess what I can see from the pub I am sitting in. :o

Soldato
I’ve heard it’s hard to work your way to the top and some say there is a glass ceiling.
Literally it's USP is that the top is broken open......like a shard of glass...

Edit: OP, it's just like any other office. And there's at least two nice restaurants and a hotel. The urinals in the one restaurant are totally glass looking out on London.

As well as offices, some of the Shard is made up of apartments. I read a story on the Beeb about something called "buy-to-leave" (not buy-to-let). That's where an investor buys up multiple real estate and leave them empty, knowing that they will go up in price, and this is what has happened in some of the Shard's apartments. I think it also affected some of the apartments in the Gherkin which is another London skyscraper.

Caporegime
Nope, we did consider moving there once tho… but really it’s in the wrong location.

Worked in some of the other prominent tall buildings tho… they’re big and tall, you get a nice view, you can easily bring friends to the posh bars/restaurants with minimal hassle as the staff/door staff will get to know you/can e-mail the manager at lunchtime from your work e-mail and get them to save you a table (would get special offers/discounts etc.. as fellow tenants too). In some buildings the bars/restaurants are open to the public in others some are for tenants and members only.

Tower42 was where the gen X/boomer city workers used to take essex birds back in the day, it’s a bit lame now compared to the rest.

The Gherkin has a public bar at the bottom (round the back) but the top 3 floors are tenants/members only, very top floor is a bar under the big glass dome, it’s 20 years old now but still decent enough.

The Heron tower has two bars/restaurants at the top - one sushi place with outdoor root terrace and then a restaurant. These are open to public sometimes need to book ahead.

The Walkie Talkie, gardens/bar/restaurant etc.. on top this is also open to public, don’t even need to book the restaurant or anything as the garden is open to public.

Issue can be these things are built for show, exterior looks nice, interior can be annoying when you’re in direct sunlight and trying to view monitor.

Soldato
Issue can be these things are built for show, exterior looks nice, interior can be annoying when you’re in direct sunlight and trying to view monitor.
Lol, this is also true for the social spaces they have. I was in the Sky Garden on Thursday and there was live music. The acoustics were abysmal. It felt like being in a humid bathroom with tinny speakers.

Man of Honour
Is the OXO Tower still a thing? I always thought that was a nice looking building.

I’m pretty sure that it’s still there, but I found the restaurant to be a tad hit and miss, I’ve had as many bad experiences there as I’ve had good ones, I wouldn’t go again, too many good places both sides of the river now than to have to take a chance on the Oxo, but that’s just me, your opinion may differ.

Soldato
As well as offices, some of the Shard is made up of apartments. I read a story on the Beeb about something called "buy-to-leave" (not buy-to-let). That's where an investor buys up multiple real estate and leave them empty, knowing that they will go up in price, and this is what has happened in some of the Shard's apartments. I think it also affected some of the apartments in the Gherkin which is another London skyscraper.

There is far too much of that happening in London. Councils/Gov should levy hefty taxes on properties left empty. Houses are to be lived in and it is just one more thing that makes London even more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom